We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car Delivery Charge

morddwyd

Likes # 0

This is not in Consumerwatch because it’s a rant, not a recommendation.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new car and, like so many others, have had to pay the iniquitous “delivery charge”, £500 in this case.

Why are dealers still allowed to get away with this?

No other retailer adds a compulsory delivery charge to the advertised price, and I’m quite sure they would fall foul of consumer law if they did.

Do other countries permit this? I have bought two new cars on the mainland, but didn’t have to pay any such charge.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Old habits die hard don't they? It all part of making a product cheaper than its real cost at point of delivery.

Mail order firms also quote 'packing and delivery' at way above actual cost to mask a higher product price.

Having worked in the Auto industry I can quote other 'sharp practices'

How about -metallic paint 'extra'- you try ordering a plain solid colour, ditto alloy wheels or other 'extras' that are built inn the model you want with out the option- its is all a game to make a basic price look keen- but a basic product is not available.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's them getting back some of the hard discount that you drove them down to as per your other thread!

Six and three twos come to mind.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

At the end of the day when delivery charges and any additions are added its the bottom figure you pay for the car that is important if delivery charge was not added it would be added elsewhere in the price. I tend to use car brokers these days and see if the local dealership can get near the price if they can they get the business if not I buy from the broker you find that the local dealers can get very near or match the price

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Cars are not cheap things to deliver. The transporters are hideously expensive, and the insurance for the journey doesn't come cheap either.

If you really want a stiff delivery charge try this for size

A couple of days ago I sold five 8-metre anti-ram camera columns. They cost £850 each, but the total delivery charge was £1,150 for a journey just under 200 miles.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

At the end of the day it's the on the road price that matters, not the sum of its parts. The manufacturers, not the dealers, apply this charge and there's no getting away from it. SparkyJack illustrates the point well but I don't agree with the sharp practice comment.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I bought a new car a few months ago and it had a delivery charge. But when I bought it the price I was interested in was the "on the road" price, the trade-in value and what else the dealer was prepared to throw in. In my case 3 years free servicing. But with hindsight I may have paid for that by through a slightly lower trade-in value. I'm still happy with the deal.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Buy a nearly new one, it might have 5k on the clock but that's nothing in terms of use.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's not just the plain old delivery charge, though, is it?

Every retailer passes on their own delivery charge charge to the customer, it's included in the price. If, however, you go to somewhere like Comet and ask for your washing machine to be delivered you will be quoted a price.

If you don't want to pay this you can make your own arrangements. If you do pay it the machine will be delivered to your door.

Not with cars though. Even if you pick up at the factory you will still pay a delivery charge.

Having taken the delivery charge the dealer still doesn't deliver though.

I had to make 100 mile round trip tp pick up a car I'd paid a £500 delivery charge on!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

No other retailer adds a compulsory delivery charge to the advertised price

Yes, they do - hundreds of them do it. You'll pay a delivery charge if you buy a book from Amazon, or a computer from Dell,or any one of a million different items from all kinds of company.

Adding a delivery charge at the point of sale is common practice, it enables retailers to quote a net price when competing for business. Some add a small amount, some a big one, but add it they do - at least most of them do.

That said, I agree with you that £500 for the delivery of a car does seem a little on the high side, but - as has already been pointed out - it forms part of the price of a new car, and something to be taken into account when making a purchase decision.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

You've missed the point.

With nearly all retailers a delivery charge is optional, and you can collect if you wish without paying for delivery.

With nearly all retailers once you pay a delivery charge the goods are delivered - a car isn't.

You have to collect it, but if you offer to collect from the factory you will still be charged.

A car dealer is charging you the cost of delivery to their premises, not yours. Very few other retailers do this, well, of course, they do it, but include the charge in the advertised price. A car dealer quotes it separately.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK