We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Personal vendetta

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

I'm posting this because I'm tired of waiting for certain people to see the light, and cease their habit of bickering endlessly with one another over (usually)trivial discussion points. One person makes a statement that is immediately challenged by another, and off we go on an interminable journey involving ever more acrimonious personal comments. Others join in, usually ganging up against one of the protagonists, until an entire thread descends into a rather childish 'Yes you did, No I didn't' argument. I've had enough of it to be honest, and I'm asking for the last time - please put a stop to it. Over the lifetime of the forum we've seen this kind of thing quite a few times,and it does nothing but damage the atmosphere. By all means state your opinions robustly, and by all means challenge what others say - that's the nature of debate - but do it without the quite obvious malice which has typified the exchanges I'm talking about. From now on I'm going to start deleting gratuitously spiteful posts without warning or explanation - no matter who makes them.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

I'm with you on this.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Maybe that's the result of being able arguing while remaining anonymous? Not that anonymity is a bad thing, but I wonder if such people are like that in the real, physical world.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

OTT_B

I doubt that someone's nature is changed by the fact of internet anonymity. It's certainly possible to adopt a different persona on the internet - people do it all the time - but character traits are deeply ingrained, and they surface relentlessly, whether we like it or not.

Nice people are nice people, no matter what disguise they choose to wear.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

No they're not.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

onionskin

Eh? Care to elaborate?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

FE I think it was an attempt at humor!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Strawballs

What humour is that then?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

Mea culpa

Hangs head in shame.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Totally agree with FE. It tends to descend to ridiculous allegations detracting from the site's intent and spirit. Puts people off when trying to discuss a product seriously. It's not just the reponders but provocative threads from posters who invite same by return.

Some of the threads here are pure nonsense which belong more to a chat room.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

I can see where the FE is coming from. Unfortunately, it's no different than many other forums but I do find the PCA forums to be one of the better managed. At lot of other forums of whatever nature descend into outright childish nastiness. This will be hard to regulate without losing members but maybe such members shouldn’t use this forum anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite