We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CCTV in Schools

interzone55

Likes # 0

Before I continue I will confirm that I have an interest here, as I sell CCTV to large integrators who install the cameras in schools, stadia and town centres. As far as I'm aware the school in linked story is not one that a customer of mine has dealt with.

BBC News

The primary school in the story has installed a camera in "communal" area of the toilets. CCTV cameras can be masked electronically so that any areas that are not to be monitored can be blanked out at the camera end, the video fed to the recorder will be permanently blanked out

Pupils in this school have been subject to bullying in the toilets, as they have since Adam was a lad. The only way to stop this is to post a bouncer in the toilets. A way to cut down on the bullying, and to catch culprits is to place cameras in the toilet area.

What's your feeling on this, and CCTV in schools in general, which is a massive market at the moment. New build schools can have up to 200 cameras installed in some areas of the country.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

good idea

cctv in playground help re allegations of bullying. and one in each classroom to protect teachers the footage could help the school expell disruptive kids.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Brilliant idea.

As a parent I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it, and agree with it for the same reasons as sunnystaines.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Thats what education is all about - get them used to a society where your on camera 24/7.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

We have CCTV in the workplace toilets and elsewhere to uncover vandalism,so much for "education". The issue here,i feel,is not about the cameras but whether or not the footage is acceptable and leads to an appropriate punishment.Kids these days are more than aware of their "human rights". To a large degree,libertarians excepted we have accepted the spread of this technology and its usage, though debatable in some contexts, has proved useful.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I wonder what teachers might think of the idea?

Not sure if they'd like cameras in the classroom, playground and corridors might be OK.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spider9

Cameras are being fitted in classrooms of many of the new schools we're dealing with.

They're referred to as behavioural cameras, and are used to monitor the behaviour of pupils, not the quality of the teaching. These cameras usually, but not always, include audio recording, but on some of the setups I've worked on the audio is only activated if it reaches a certain volume, as if voices are being raised, or there's a fight breaking out.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's sad when I think back to my school days that we need in class CCTV now. A sharp backhand around the head as the teacher walked by and carried on speaking without batting an eyelid to the nano distraction quickly put us in our place.

How long before we follow the Americans with armed security in schools?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I like the way this as been referred to the police. I also wonder if anyone objects to cameras that are installed in police cells for the benefit of the occupants?.

And as for the American way of armed security and body checks, then as stated, the old ways and days when the teachers had control have long gone, in favour of political correctness.

We talk about it being a jungle out there, and perhaps we should act in favour of the jungle, by the parents being in control of their kids, instead of putting the responsibility on others?.

Perhaps going further. Our local council had a particular problem with some public toilets and the activities that were going on there. There was talk of using 24 hour monitored cctv in the toilet blocks plus the surrounding area. This was voted out " because it would offend people and effect their human rights". The toilet blocks were closed, and have since been sold for alternative purposes. Now I wonder whose rights have been offended there, certainly not the law abiding publics?.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

no corporal punish in schools also, a lot of heads for reasons unknown have a paranoid fear about expelling bad kids.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

a lot of heads for reasons unknown have a paranoid fear about expelling bad kids.

That could be down to the backlash caused by the common practice of schools expelling poorly performing kids to increase their average test results. The school would collect their annual fee from the education authority for educating the kid, then expel them just before the exams.

Because of the controversy this caused schools now have a tough job expelling disruptive pupils...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...