We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Sound Would You Go For

Condom

Likes # 0

The problem of the quietness of electric cars is now being debated and it seems some regulation will be brought in so that they make some form of noise. What would you like to hear?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

As it would be from a digital file of sounds, you could choose anything from this Honda 6 to this Windows sounds

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I watched a bit about this subject on TV this morning and thought then that a little bit of classical music might do the trick. Then again maybe not. Most vehicles owned by teenagers these days can be heard long before the engine anyway. Windows down, speakers full on and blasting out some type of head-banging music (sorry noise, because it's not music). So they wouldn't need to adjust to any new ruling about electric vehicles.

Maybe some sort of cheeky baker's boy whistle would do the trick. Remember when nearly all working men used to whistle on their way to work...

There's no doubt some noise indication is needed for the benefit of the blind etc.

Without noise it would be very eerie if one was stopped on the motorway after breaking down. Just feeling the wind of all the passing silent cars. Then the very nice AA man would probably say. "It doesn't sound too good to me, I will have to tow you to the nearest hearing aid station". Would they be equipped with a stethoscope to locate the problem area?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Think how easy car repairs would become, just download a new mp3 track, and away you go...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

After I recent trip to London, where many Prius drivers tried to kill me by sneaking up at me, I thought that some kind of noise was required.

I decided that the most appropriate noise for an electric vehicle would be rattling milk bottles...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"the most appropriate noise for an electric vehicle would be rattling milk bottles..." I wouldn't care to live adjacent to the M1 in 20 years time!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Maybe this inbuilt noise will be controlled by an on/off switch. So we could switch off when on motorways. But rattling milk bottles? Come on surely we can do better than that? How about rattling beer cans?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Up to 30mph - the laughing policeman. Over 30 the noise of the tyres would be enough.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Something like this; Ferrari

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As someone who remembers only too well the silent death of trolley buses in the fog during the early 60's in Glasgow this does have its serious side as well. It seems to be pretty clear that all electric vehicles will be forced by law to have some sound coming from them. I can also remeber the very distintive sound I used to hear from my flat in Exhibition Road every morning of a green gas turbine Rover whistling down the road. It seemed very space age at the time but boy you did pay attention to it. I wonder what ever happened to that car?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Condom

I was thinking about the Rover P6 gas turbine car the other day, as Jaguar are talking about having a gas-turbine version of their new hybrid super-car.

Not sure if there are any gas turbine P6 cars left, but they made a very distinctive sound...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED