We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Sound Would You Go For

Condom

Likes # 0

The problem of the quietness of electric cars is now being debated and it seems some regulation will be brought in so that they make some form of noise. What would you like to hear?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As someone who remembers only too well the silent death of trolley buses in the fog during the early 60's in Glasgow this does have its serious side as well. It seems to be pretty clear that all electric vehicles will be forced by law to have some sound coming from them. I can also remeber the very distintive sound I used to hear from my flat in Exhibition Road every morning of a green gas turbine Rover whistling down the road. It seemed very space age at the time but boy you did pay attention to it. I wonder what ever happened to that car?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Condom

I was thinking about the Rover P6 gas turbine car the other day, as Jaguar are talking about having a gas-turbine version of their new hybrid super-car.

Not sure if there are any gas turbine P6 cars left, but they made a very distinctive sound...

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

wiz-king, Does a policeman laugh,at any SPEED.(pun intended)

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - in 20 years time electric cars will have been laughed off the road as hydrogen will be a viable fuel by then.

Going off subject, imho electric and hybrid cars are a waste of time that exist merely to satisfy a political agenda. The majority of vehicles will still be sole petrol or diesel engined for many years. Their efficiency is constantly being improved and hydrogen is not as far off as some people think.

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

2 suggestions, firs this. Click here

Click here

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

how about the rolling bell sound that you get in kiddies pull along toys :-)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I already have a noise producing device on my car. It's called a horn.

I also have a device I can use to warn me about particularly quiet vehicles when I am a pedestrian. It's called eyesight.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There's always the school boy flick card against the spokes, held on with a clothes peg...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't know about the noise so much, possibly a person walking in front with a red flag might be an answer ;o)

Electric milk floats seem to have a compulsory flashing orange light and a rather pathetic sounding hooter nowadays?.

There is a person who visits a near neighbour, who as a small 'electric' car. Don't know the make, but that sure makes a bit of a noise. Whether a fault or an intentional sound (driver and occupants deaf?), I really wouldn't know!.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

If people who've had a drink cant see the back of a 20 ton truck with reversing lights blazing screeching "Warning! Vehicle reversing!" through a speaker thats getting closer & therefore louder,then it wouldn't matter what noise or level of noise the electric car made,there'd be carnage on the streets @ pub closing times.I grew up on a street that had steep hills either end so you heard the vehicles approaching and knew to get off the road,if electric cars had been in common use back then,I'd likely not still be here. :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......