We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Speeds - What nonsense

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Or is it?

Yesterday there appeared to be an article on the PCA news breaks, about 24Mb broadband. But due to site problems I was unable to read the article. But I would imagine that this was to do with the governments proposal about everyone being able to have higher speeds and better services.

Tony Blair in his term in government was stating "Broadband for everyone", and this as been stated by many ISP's trying to peddle their wares via advertising of 'better than our competitors' mantra. Yet at the same time, some people cannot receive broadband even at low limits, and BT are stating that they are investing massively in a de-regulated industry.

Broadband as improved since the 'dial-up' days, when we were then being told that real high speed would not be available for many years to come, if at all, and at the time, accept what you had.

Whats your views, will the government and Ofcom's possible ambitions and that of the public needs or requirements be achieved in the not to distant future?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No high speeds until 'they' (BT or whomsoever is responsible) install new cables/telephone wires equipment etc. and the ISP's improve the contention ratio.

I am on 'up to 24Mb' only able to get just over 1Mb and frequent drop-outs. Had all the tests done, apparently it's line quality fault and our area isn't scheduled for renewal of cables in foreseeable future...

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

The broadband speed that is "offered" usually bears no relationship to what you actually get. So no matter what suppliers say, they will always hide behind the fact that "it depends where you are in relation to your exchange and how good or bad your line is..". People who live way out in the country will always struggle to get a good speed unless something has happened in a particular area that has meant some form of update/upgrade to the systems means they can get reasonable speeds.

I am about 1,000 metres from my exchange, and it makes not one iota of difference. When I moved here 5 years ago, I was getting 7000+ Kbps, now I am lucky to get 4000Kbps. The business, that when you first connect they see what your average speed is, then set yours to that average is a wee bit of a misnomer. I was regularly getting 7000Kbps then, but when it evened out it was below 4000 and sometimes only 3000Kbps. So in five years there has been absolutely no improvement what ever, despite what our merry politicians say.

I think we are going to have to wait for an awfully long time before everyone gets a reasonable speed available to us.

In my humble opinion, if Suppliers can get no where near to the level of speed they suggest in their sales blurb, those customers that fall well below should not be paying so much for the service.

I'll not hold my breath though!!

TonyV

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

But that is possibly one of the arguments. The government and Ofcom are telling the public and the service providers that things must get better or be advertised more correctly.

But how can you achieve these, if the infrastructure or finance is supposedly not there?.

When the UK rail network came under Dr Beeching, many lines were lost due to financial reasons and not people wants. Even bus companies are now cherry-picking for the profitable routes, and leaving people stranded on non-profitable routes. Could the broadband service suffer the same fates, possibly replacing the 'upto', to one of 'unable to supply' under the present or foreseeable conditions?.

As a point of interest, I can do speed-tests from the three major English check server points, London, Birmingham and Manchester and get different opinions of speeds and services at certain times of the day. Strange as it might sound, but London Docklands is suppose to be the best location for faster speed tests. Does this mean that the 'Capital' is better provided?.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

I will tick this as resolved, so that I do not fill my email response box. ;o)

Please feel free to carry on this discussion.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Some times it all depends on how much you can complain to your ISP, I live about 2.5 mile from the exchange, according to BT my speed should be about 4 meg but after doing a lot of complaining to SKY my speed is now 9 meg.

All they have done is put my connection speed up manually from their end, I have a stable connection and it took a lot of arguing to get it done but I did get it in the end.

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Hi Spuds

I was living in Hull where Karoo owns the market there! the have always advertised speeds that are not achievable! in fact if you was to google these words "karoo broadband review" speaks volumes?

Something should be done about the companies that offer speeds and use the "UP TO" wording should be banned! its a free ticket for them to say "It depends where u live and atmospheric conditions" patter to people

I'm with Virgin on their 50 meg XL deal & its a breathe of fresh air tbh! i get the full 50 meg 99.5% of the time and when its NOT at 50 meg its never gone less than 48 meg...!

The only thing i would say about Virgin is the Indian Call centre have sometimes annoyed me they dont often have the correct answer and they seem like they are doing something else whilst been on the phone? ive had an issue in the past with the connection and had to call Virgin and got through to the indian call centre where ive been promised a call back FOUR TIMES and got nothing back and that dont look good for Virgin.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

I signed up to BT's Fibre-Optic Infinity Option - £28 per month for free phone calls anytime and Unlimited Broadband at 40Meg (although I usually only get 39Meg...)

The Customer Support is hopeless, but the service itself is fine.

I see little green boxes on most street corners around here (slightly west of the M25) so I imagine most people will get fibre-optic access within just a few years...

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

IClaudio,

I think you will find that the "little green boxes on most street corners around here" are for for 'snail mail'! I could be wrong, but - no doubt - somebody will yell you if I am. As for 39MB download, why are you complaining? I am lucky to get more than 1.5MB, and I am 4.7 miles from exchange through sky, although will be leaving them very soon!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Housten

The "little green boxes" referred to by IClaudio are cable boxes, not connected with snail mail.

Not so little either.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Housten

The little green boxes, possibly attached to other little green boxes are for the new optic services. Or at least that is what a BT OpenReach 'multi-task' engineer told me a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, when driving around in their vans, and not knowing the areas very well, they can tell if the area as been 'upgraded' without checking their records.

The snail mail boxes usually have graffiti on them, at least around my way, they do :O)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone