We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

3D glasses aided Hitler's downfall

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

The stereoscope was a simple Victorian invention which works on the same principles of today's 3D glasses. It enabled enemy landscape photographs, scanned by teams of photographic interpreters, to be viewed in 3D, and as a result saved thousands from the VI and II missile onslaught.

This BBC articleClick here explains the stereoscope's capabilities.

For those interested, a documentary of "Operation Crossbow" is broadcast at 2100 BST on Sunday 15 May, on BBC Two. The brilliance of our scientists and of the countless men and women involved in World War II will forever be remembered by a grateful nation. TC.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 1

Ummmmm. You might want to finish your shopping before posting links!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I've edited your opening post to put the link right TC

You had inadvertently posted a Tesco online shopping link!

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

And not a yank in sight.....blimey.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

As a qualified PI I was using very similar stereoscopes in the 1980's. There has to be an overlap between photos to get stereo (3D). Some can squint and see 3D without the stereoscope. It doesn't allow you to measure height though. That it is done by knowing the focal length of the camera and the height it was flown at. 3D's advantage is that it can allow you to determine what is a real and what is a fake target.

Nowadays they are Imagery Interpretors viewing digital imagery.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

My apologies gentlemen for the silly mistake - I happened to get hit by the 'Please wait' bug for quite some time today, but I can't for the life of me explain where Tesco came in!

Thanks, FE, for putting things right - I promise to try the link before posting next time. TC.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

Thanks for informing us about the programme. I look forward to watching it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW they are not glasses. They are are not worn but looked through. You have to adjust the height and width for the film and yourself.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

*Woolwell *

Indeed, you and I know how they were used but that reporter is probably too young. :o)

By the way, after a long search I've found what, or rather who, was causing my posting problem. It was my teenager grandson who has some XP games on my PC playing in Compatibility Mode. In keeping with the modern attitude of some, he had enabled all programs to be viewed/played in CM instead of individual ones, and that made the PCA website jump all over the place. It also gave rise to the very long "Please Wait" situation after posting.

Anyway, the lad has been warned, again, and told to leave my settings alone, or else!! TC.

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Oh, I thought you meant these

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"told to leave my settings alone"

Should be told to leave your computer alone!

I would no more allow my son, aged 48 and an MS licensed engineer, to use my computer than I would allow him to use my car!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?