We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Often Do You Format Your PC?

Colin

Likes # 0

I was thinking the other day that I’ve been running Windows 7 since its inception in October 2009. I installed it on a self built PC and to me, it seems to be a snappy as ever. I recall that with Windows ‘98 I used to reformat around every 6 months and with XP/Vista around 9 months. Maybe because I’m older I don’t notice it as much or the thought of a reformat doesn’t excite me as much as it used to, but I’m pretty sure that W7 doesn’t seem to suffer as much with installations of crapware, demos, utilities etc. Has anyone else noticed this?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In the days of Win 98 I had to reformat/re-install Windows a few times along with all my programs but since then the only time I have had to do it was when a hard drive died. That doesn't really count as it was in effect a new install.

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

I just LOOOOVE to do a low level format! i use Kill Disc then put the OS (7 64 bit) on it, i format my pc's around 4 times a year, before i do the format i unplug everything then blow all the fluff and dust out of them and give them a basic dry clean and clear up any clutter...its a no loose situation...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Never

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Never with Win7.

But, once every six months or so, I sit down for a full day and go through the machine from top to bottom removing any programmes, files, broken shortcuts etc., which I no longer need. I back up the registry and then use Malwarebytes to check the whole system thoroughly. I also go through all the programmes running at boot using Soluto and alter as necessary.

Once a year I open the case and give the inside a clean using a vacuum cleaner and attachment, make sure all cards are seated firmly and that all the fans are spinning up when power is applied.

After that....I go down to the pub!!

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

It used to be a regular occurence, but nowadys it is usually when a new version of Windows comes out.

I still find formatting rather scary. Whilst I back up all relevant data, I always worry that some vital piece may be lost.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't format any more. I clone to a USB hdd disc in an enclosure. Once a month, if I remember. Not being in a business then it really doesn't matter.Backups are to DVDs and flash drives and another hdd. Oh, I forgot, I usually buy a cheap laptop as another backup to my worshiped desktop.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Never is a long time, but mainly due to ignorance of work-arounds it happened fairly often using 98SE. Not since first using 2K and nowadays XP.

I confess that on rare occasions when things were becoming iffy, I played lazy and Restored the latest Acronis image.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

in w98 and xp did it once a year, around xmas time. since vista & w7 had no need to they do not get sluggish with time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have machines with Windows ME (I know, but I like it), XP (Pro/Home) and Vista. Never had need to format ME or Vista (not used often), but XP at times of severe distress, and all other options fail.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I've found myself just not installing so much software as time has gone by, although I can see peoples points that W7 seem far less susceptible to getting bogged down. If I need to reinstall everything, it's done from a backup image and is quite quick and painless. Personal files are kept and backed up separately.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks