We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Often Do You Format Your PC?

Colin

Likes # 0

I was thinking the other day that I’ve been running Windows 7 since its inception in October 2009. I installed it on a self built PC and to me, it seems to be a snappy as ever. I recall that with Windows ‘98 I used to reformat around every 6 months and with XP/Vista around 9 months. Maybe because I’m older I don’t notice it as much or the thought of a reformat doesn’t excite me as much as it used to, but I’m pretty sure that W7 doesn’t seem to suffer as much with installations of crapware, demos, utilities etc. Has anyone else noticed this?

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

This windows xp machine has not been formatted at all. PC World i-media bought in 2005.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Never been tempted to format any of my PCs, from Windows 3.something, '95, 98se or XP, which I am currently running.

I suppose that, if I were an inveterate Installer of assorted Games and different Software every couple of weeks, it might become necessary, but I'd put that down to my own fault for incompetent housekeeping.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Never.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

As I upgrade my PC often it can be a couple of times a year, but as I have an SSD drive which just has my Operating system and programs its a simple process to reinstall.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Whenever the only other option becomes throwing it out of the window!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

March 2005 Medion never been formatted

Only time I ever format is brand new drive that comes without being formatted or rescuing old drives from U/S machine to reuse as external storage.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have always built my own PC's and used to reformat at least once a year. Like you I have had W7 installed since day one and so far not seen the need. Perhpas having CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller around these days has helped somewhat.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I used to reformat my Win 98 machine every 6 months. XP lasted about a year before it became a total dog.

I only reformatted my Jan 2007 bought Vista laptop in February this year when a nasty bit of malware caused all sorts of problems.

I wonder if as time has gone on I've done less tinkering with my PCs, so they've not been damaged as much by repeated hardware & software changes...

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Never. I'm sure CCleaner helps!

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

I use CCleaner as well. It must be doing its job.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more