We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this the new friendly Tory party?

Cymro.

Likes # 0

link text

Personaly it is just the sort of thing I would have expected of the Tories

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Nothing to fear - 'Muscles Clegg' will make sure it never happens!!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

The alternative for companies is to take on employees on short term contracts. This is even worse for the worker as they never build up enough service to qualify for any redundancy payment, or, worse still, have security of employment to support application for a mortgage. My Daughter in Law is currently having to re-apply for her own job due to the short term contract that she had to sign. If she doesn't get the job then she won't get any redundancy. Is that better than having the job on a proper basis and then being made redundant two or three years down the line? I don't think so as if her short term contracts were lumped together she would have been entitled to a small redundancy payment.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I have been in Short term renewable /contract work for about 14 years, and I agree you do not get redundency when the work finishes, however, there are often other opertunities, you hear about while you are working, and it makes it easier to move from position to position without too much hassle, on top of that, if you see a better offer, and your employer wants your to renew, you can ofter get better terms and/or a payrise.

Two sides of the same coin

The way I look at is- If you are in a long term employment, after a while you get in a rut and so not try as hard, however if you are looking at deadlines, you make he extra effort, and yes before you ask I have been an Employer as well as an Employee.

Terry

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

In a word NO

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I can agree in part,employee payouts at tribunals often seem excessive(also seeing more repeat tribunal chasers,unfortunately only revealed after the tribunal has ended)so could be reviewed.Meddling with other employment laws that appears to produce insecurity in those on contracts doesn't sound like a good idea.I recall working on a short term contract within the construction industry & with so many other construction firms on the same site once you'd got a foot in the door you were able to find other work on the same site with a new employer easily.Once out the loop as you'd failed to find another job before access to the site (pass expired) became awkward,you were pretty well stuffed unless your mates still onsite found you a job.The main employers around this area appear to be having trouble maintaining morale,if the regular letters in the local paper are used as an indicator.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Even if you may get made redundant you may not be able to sign on the unemployment register, Going with the news today they are going to close a number of those as well.

You would have thought that as the unemployment is about to increase they should be keeping them open.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks