We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft buys Skype

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Microsoft has confirmed that it has agreed to buy internet phone service Skype.

for a reported £5.2 billion.

Guess what you'll find bundled with Windows 8 when it comes over the hill?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Wot?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I'm going right out on a limb here, but I'm guessing.....Skype.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

I too was totally clueless about Skype until I got this new laptop where it came as part of the bundled package. I haven't used it but had a look to see what it could do. Not all is free it transpires!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I have been using Skype for a long time, a great free service. A friend of mine uses it for Business Contacts throughout the world.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It has to be patently obvious, well it is to me.

Microsoft's latest acknowledged business challenge is to turn it's Products, from a one off Purchase, to an Income Stream. Skype, although Free to use, will be part of that program.

I would think that Skype will still be free to use, but have Adverts included somewhere in the package, with the proviso that, for a small Premium you can have it Advert Free. This would give M$ a chance to work out what is the most successful method of collecting that Premium.

I believe that later Microsoft Office will become a 'Rentable' Product, although whether it's to be split into its various component parts or Rented in bundles, as it is now Sold, is something I cannot guess.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Bang goes another useful product. Whatever MS touches does not turn to gold !

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I tried it for a few months when it first came out. So much noise during calls (on the odd occasion when I could connect) that I gave up. Think I still have about £8 in there somewhere.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Used it for years (son in Australia!), and now also have it on my Android mobile, where it is very fast and very convenient.

I wonder how that will sit with MS?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Her indoors uses Skype but I use Microsoft Messenger. I really don't know much about Skype but is it really that much different to Messenger that they pay all this money for it?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I have used it for a good few years now to call relo's in Oz. It costs about 20 pence for thirty minutes and of course you have to pay in advance by loading an amount to do so. Calls to other computers are free and calls to a telephone set are cheap as chips. I have never done so as I don't have a camera. (who would want to see my gob?) but I believe you can use the video system too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite