We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Supermarket fuel price cuts

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

From today click here

Like this post
wids001

Likes # 0

Prices seem to have fell through the floor near here. Last week the local BP station was selling diesel at £1.459 litre. Today it was down to £1.369!

Petrol was down to £1.319 Litre.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Just filled up at Asda, £1.35.7 per litre (first time I've seem a price other than .9p in a long time).

The local BP is still £1.47.9, that's 55.4p a gallon more expensive than Asda, well worth the extra 5 mile each way trip for a tank full...

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Just an update on the 5p/litre off at Tesco. I did my shopping online this week and despite my bill being LESS than £50 they still gave me a voucher.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

For the independent garage to supply a cheaper fuel he would have to buy from the fuel depot a huge volume (30.000 galls) of fuel.

Buying fuel to retail is also one of the few money up front before delivery businesses.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

"It's the same all over.

Some people think "brand name" fuel, like BP & Shell, is better than "own brand" fuel in supermarkets. They don't seem to realise that it comes out of the same hole in the ground, and the same tanks in the refinery.

Yes, BP & Shell have superior fuels with additives, but they're even more expensive."

You would think this is true. However, I filled up my Focus a few times on Tesco petrol as it was cheaper. The car juddered quite noticeably to the point I thought there was an underlying problem. Also, the fuel efficiency went through the floor.

I tried our local waitrose for a while (a couple of pence a litre more) and was instantly pleased with the massive reduction in juddering and increased fuel efficency. I now use BP (another penny a litre or so more expensive) and my car runs like a dream with a near 10% improved efficiency over the waitrose petrol.

I will never use Tesco petrol again.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Admiral Allstar

The next time you see a tanker driver at a Tesco filling station, ask them where they got their fuel from. You might be surprised!.

But having said that, I have stated in the past that I would never use petrol from Sainsbury's forecourts.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I will never use Tesco petrol again.

I never use anything else and have never had any problems with it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The car juddered quite noticeably to the point I thought there was an underlying problem. Also, the fuel efficiency went through the floor."

To get something as drastic as that caused by fuel suggests that either you filled up with the wrong fuel or they mistakenly put paraffin in the petrol bunker. No specified grade of fuel will lead to that sort of problem.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Compensate the extra half tank of the fuel weight by sending any passenger on by bus at their cost. Then you will get the benefit of the saving.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Coming back to the car juddering effect. I had that once, and so did many other people on that day. Diesel had some how been mixed with petrol at the filling station. Took three calls and responses from the AA, before the eventual problem and culprit was found. Cost the forecourt company a small fortune to correct the problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...