We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Spanish Plume

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Learn something new every day.

I've just been on the Met Office website, looking at the surface pressure charts.

link text

It appears we are in the path of a series of low pressure troughs, known as a "Spanish Plume".

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not to be confused with a Scottish soor plume.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Spanish plume

was mentioned in a TV weather forecast a few days ago. I've not heard the phrase before, and I assumed it was dreamed up by someone in the media department at the Met Office.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I found this reference and description for a Spanish Plume that occurred in 1968 Spanish Plume

Like this post
eikonuj

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, a very informative link, thanks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

An interesting link - I'm the wiser for it.

I see we may expect to experience "obsidian skies, sonorous thunder, and riotous electrical fulmination" as a result of the Spanish plume, which makes me quite glad I'm not flying this weekend.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

There really are some glorious constructions available in the English language!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As Dr. Watson might have asked 'I say Holmes, did you see that riotous electrical fulmination over the moors?'

'No Watson, but I heard the sonorous thunder, and glimpsed the obsidian sky, which leads me to surmise that we can expect some heavy aqueous precipitation within the hour.'

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

In 40 yrs of listening to a daily met brief in the RAF, I never heard the phrase before.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you Google Spanish Plume the reference to this post has dropped to page 6 which suggests that lot of people are doing searches to find out what it is, which in turn suggests that it's quite rare to get one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made