We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish election and SNP win

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that the SNP have won 69 seats and thus gained an overall majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election. Gaining this majority now means he has enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum. Do you think that Alex Salmond, when elected the First Minister of Scotland, will now strive to achieve his long-held wish?

Secondly, what in your opinion would separation mean to the rest of us in Britain? TC.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

*Exactly the response I expected.

Glad to be of service! (;-0)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Annabel Goldie now gone as well.

The other two were a couple of mediocrities promoted well beyond their capabilities, but she will be a real loss to the Parliament, one of the few competent politicians up here.

As a Tory she knew she had no chance, and admitted as much by saying, during a public debate, that her main task was to keep the other two in check by the short and curlies!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Yes, disagreed with her politics but she had charisma and charm. She will be a loss as leader, but no doubt will still be 'chunnerin' from within the Chamber.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Fourm member

Oh dear we are getting desperate!

In response to your scenario of an independent Scotland (you having previously said that particular event was not even worth discussing!!), I said that in theory there would no longer be a need for the SNP, as their main aim would have been achieved.There might then evolve a new 'party system' altogether - who knows until it happens?

But nothing to do with altruism, I'm afraid.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Have Forum Member and spider9 ever thought of getting married?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

TC

Will you do it, or shall I? I ask in deference to our long association via the forum - it's your call.

Like this post  
spider9

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

How do you know we are not?!!

Interestingly, I noticed today the quite large increase in the number of 'views' to this thread, even though there had been no new posts - so it does seem that people may be interested in our 'discussions' (and hoping for more...??).

Send your thoughts to me, written on the back of a £10 note, thank you and goodnight.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Ed Milliband has appointed three MPs to "help" with the enquiry into the party's poor showing in the election.

link text

On the crest of a wave of nationalism I can think of few things less likely to improve their prospects!

According to a report in the Scotsman, which I won't link to as it's hardly unbiased, he is determined never to allow Westminster to be cut out of an election again.

Is he, and presumably his advisors, really that short sighted?

I'll bet the SNP, and probably the Conservatives and Libs Dems too, have already got that archived ready to trot it out next time.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I wasn't being coy.

The website is easy enough to find, and I didn't think it added much to the point I was making.

You obviously think differently, that is your prerogative, but I can't see how that makes you perceive me as being coy

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"but I can't see how that makes you perceive me as being coy"

The same way that makes him see a 'historic win for the SNP' as the merest 'ripple' , possibly!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes