We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish election and SNP win

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that the SNP have won 69 seats and thus gained an overall majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election. Gaining this majority now means he has enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum. Do you think that Alex Salmond, when elected the First Minister of Scotland, will now strive to achieve his long-held wish?

Secondly, what in your opinion would separation mean to the rest of us in Britain? TC.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

There's some stuff from the SNP

http://www.snp.org/node/17120

You will also find under FOI papers that were released shortly after oil was discovered that basically demanded lies be told to undermine Scotland

Any evidence you guys have to the contrary would be appreciated

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

**fourm member **"Cameron has the best interests of all the people of the UK in mind and is determined to stop the Scottish people making a terrible mistake."

By what divine right does Cameron have the monopoly on deciding about 'the Scottish people making a terrible mistake'??

He is basically saying that the people of Scotland are incapable of ruling themselves, and that could be dangerous territory!

The normal Scots 'pysche' says anything Tory is not good for them (demonstrated over many years at the ballot box), so if Cameron keeps up the 'over my dead body' stand, then independence becomes that bit more likely.

Now wait for the push on Corporation tax - as has been said, Eck's a canny lad!!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

'altruistic politician'

Now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

ha ha dismiss as you see fit; especially if it doesn't fir with your preconceived view.

Still waiting on your body of evidence.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Cant Scotland support its self??"

Yes, just let us keep all the duty on drinks distilled in Scotland.

That's not just the whisky, the Cameron Brig distillery in Fife produces 500 bottles of vodka and gin per minute, 3 million cases per month!

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

25% of food and drink exports from the UK come from Scotland.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Under the Barnett formula Scotland receives £7.5 billion more in public spending than the equivalent population (5 million)in England. Scotland would also lose much of its industrial base if it went independent. In my view, that makes anyone who supports it foolish. I suspect that Salmond fully realises this but uses the prospect of independence as a way of gaining personal power.

In my view, Scotland could only survive as a low wage country after independence. I haven't met one here in the south who would dream of returning now or after independence.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Sorry, but how can you know what people would do about staying or returning to Scotland before they have seen what difference independence actually makes.

Silly to quote Barnett formula when there will be no such thing after the event. The UK government has not exactly helped Scottish industry over many years - let's remember Thatcher and her hatred of all things Scottish - except wasting the oil revenues on keeping the dole queues long.

Scotland has a long tradition of good education, and can, and would, attract many high-end industies. But we could argue non-proveable hypothetical points all night and never agree.

Scottish people will eventually decide, and I, for one, will trust them.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

To make what I would consider a more realistic comparison compare Scotland with Norway. Both have similar populations yet since oil was discovered Norway has become one of the richest countries in Europe and Scotland has languished behind most. Norway has also harvested its oil revenues wisely and will have this support for decades to come unlike the UK which has frittered much of them away. Scotland also has one of the highest natural energy supplies in the world with regard to gas and electricity provision which I understand provides more than the country needs. Having sufficient natural resources in energy, power and water is what most countries crave for and Scotland has all of these in Spades.

From an economic point of view thare is little doubt that Scotland would do very well on its own but the argument is not really about that but about whether being a part of the UK is good for Scotland and its people or indeed good for the other parts of the UK as well.

During the Royal wedding for example I absolutely lost count of the number of times the BBC (sorry the EBC) let important people get away with calling the bride the future Queen of England without even making any attempt to corrrect them. The same happened in America when the Queen made her visit as nearly all the UK Embassy staff called her the Queen of England. Maybe the English are trying to tell us something.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

This question of Scottish independence is subject to considerable discussion in some quite high places and is not going away just yet, it would seem. Apparently the UK government wouldn't stand in the way of a independence vote in Scotland, according to this BBC report. TC.

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014