We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish election and SNP win

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that the SNP have won 69 seats and thus gained an overall majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election. Gaining this majority now means he has enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum. Do you think that Alex Salmond, when elected the First Minister of Scotland, will now strive to achieve his long-held wish?

Secondly, what in your opinion would separation mean to the rest of us in Britain? TC.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I must apologise for my sloppy use of language.

Perhaps I could amend my original phrase to "On the crest of a wave of Nationalist support"?

With an "impossible to achieve" overall majority that is surely a reasonably accurate assessment?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Oh dear, that's enough for me - but if only you could show me where I suggested a 'wave of nationalism'!!

You are doing your usual, after comprehensively losing the earlier round you then have to return by fabricating statements to assign to others in order to try and keep your status as self-elected 'forum political guru'.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think you do Nicola Sturgeon an injustice by suggesting that Salmond could appear indecisive.

She, as the real power in the SNP, would never permit it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Should independence for Scotland become a reality, how would Scotland manage monetary matters for the man in the street?

Would they adopt the Euro, or retain the pound? By retaining the pound they will still be tied to English monetary policy, by adopting the Euro... well that's a very unknown path in the light of recent Euro zone states falling foul.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

*Salmond will be made to look indecisive *

Salmond was saying before the election that any referendum would be 'later' in the term.

How does this make him indecisive?

Absolutely no parallel with Brown.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

My father came down in 1951, and I have been here ever since, and I am ( mostly ) proud of my Scottish heritage. However, what I find most disconcerting is that the English put up with Scots getting so much more spent on them than the English. I have spoken about this many times with my English friends and keep saying to them that I fully expect the English to, one day ( perhaps never? ), rise up and demand that the same amount should be spent on everyone within the UK. But until it happens Alex Salmond will keep screwing the English and Cameron will continue to let him!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Alex Salmond will keep screwing the English and Cameron will continue to let him!"

A little unfair I think.

Alex Salmond has only been in power, minority power at that, for four years, and Cameron, also minority power, for much less.

The Barnett formula has been in effect for a lot longer than that.

It's a silly comparison anyway.

You might as well complain about farmers getting more in subsidies than city dwellers.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

You introduced the analogy with Brown and being indesisive.

Yet there is not the slightest foundation for comparison - Brown did 'dither' about whether to call an election, Salmond is not dithering, he ststed before the election what the plan was.

How can you possibly use that as an analogy? Only an idiot would see these two happenings as in any way similar.

Housten

Sadly your attitude (and that of many English people) will be exactly what will drive Scots into voting for independence.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

You say I don't read and understand!!

I said only an idiot would accept the similarity of the 'analogous events'. So, any of the commentators who tried that line would be that way described.

You are 'edgy', and maybe a little paranoid, I suspect - but idiotic?, I hope not.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

My only comment on this subject is to fourm member

CALM DOWN DEAR

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded