We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish election and SNP win

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that the SNP have won 69 seats and thus gained an overall majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election. Gaining this majority now means he has enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum. Do you think that Alex Salmond, when elected the First Minister of Scotland, will now strive to achieve his long-held wish?

Secondly, what in your opinion would separation mean to the rest of us in Britain? TC.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Surely leaving the referendum until the party has had time to demonstrate it's abilities, now that it's free from 'coalition', cannot be criticised as cowardly. Salmond was prepared to offer a referendum latterly, but was blocked by other interest groups. (It may well be argued that the Tories made a grave error back then and should have allowed him to do it!).

So now he's taking his time on this momentous decision - makes sense to me, why do you appear to want to 'bump' him to decide. Let's see what the next few years bring - if, as you obviously suspect, the SNP makes a hash of it then independence is stone dead anyway.

If the SNP do impress the Scottish people then good luck to them - would they be the first Party to try and 'bribe' the electorate? They've just not yet had as much experience in bribery as the main UK parties!!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I don't think economics as such will be the decisive factor when it comes to the final crunch.

Scots will perhaps be considering whether they wish to continue with what are perceived, rightly or wrongly, as handouts from England, particularly when those handouts are again perceived, rightly or wrongly, as increasingly begrudged.

To paraphrase the old saying "Better to struggle along standing up than coast along on your knees with your begging bowl held out."

I don't know. I'm not a Scot and may have a different perspective to those born and bred here, but I get the impression that belief in Scotland is rising (and I don't mean the vociferous support for sports teams, but the growing confidence of those going trough the checkouts and the petrol pumps).

That might not be good for the economy, but it's probably good for Scotland

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I sense exactly the same as yourself, and membership (or not) of the EU will not rate highly in decisions, I suspect.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Independence is 'stone dead' regardless of how the SNP runs the economy

You are entitled to your opinion, but to state it as if it were an incontrovertible fact is disingenuous to say the least.

Time will tell.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

For once I must agree with spider9.

Independence may not be feeling very well, and require long rehab, but it is nowhere near stone dead!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....it is nowhere near stone dead!"

Personally I think it is - at least for the foreseeable future. Deep in their hearts I think most Scots know that independence is no more than a romantic dream, and they will let their heads rule their hearts if it comes to the crunch.

It's all about sustainability, and I fail to see how an independent Scottish economy could prosper.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

I would have agreed a few years ago, but there is a totally different 'feel' around now.

Myself, I think the constant harping by many English factions that Scotland couldn't survive without their generosity plays straight into the SNP hands. Scotland knows it could hold it's own, and it proves very difficult for anyone to convince that they have been overall 'takers' in the Union.

As has been said earlier, Scotland is self sufficient in all major natural resources - and the general population is begining to realise it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

"Scotland knows it could hold it's own"

With respect, Scotland knows nothing of the kind. There are people in Scotland who believe that the country could be entirely self sufficient economically, but until or unless it's tried nobody knows for sure.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"If you say so"

You make a statement about Independence being 'stone dead' and we are expected to accept that as the only truth, just because it came from you.

Morddwyd and I say we sense a particular feeling among Scots and you pooh-pooh it with your rather gratuitous comment above, as if nobody (save yourself) has any right to express their opinions.

FE

I think you would find if you asked Scottish people "Could Scotland stand alone?" the answer would be mainly "Yes".

However to the question, "Are you ready, at the moment to stand alone?", there might well be a different answer. But the way I hear things up here the idea of 'giving it a try' is certainly growing.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Brilliant.

I rest my case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia