We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish election and SNP win

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that the SNP have won 69 seats and thus gained an overall majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election. Gaining this majority now means he has enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum. Do you think that Alex Salmond, when elected the First Minister of Scotland, will now strive to achieve his long-held wish?

Secondly, what in your opinion would separation mean to the rest of us in Britain? TC.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

As far as I'm concerned I would like a period of SNP 'total' government in order to make a decision on how independence might just 'feel'. With the previous coalition you never felt it was truly a nationalist government, so I think it is better to wait till near the end of the term before asking the question.

A good enough reason for me, albeit that I'm not Scttish anyway!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"All the polls and surveys and predictions suggest that 70% of the people are against independence."

Precisely, and the SNP knows it.

But then, there's just that chance that when actually asked to vote on the subject a lot of those who responded negatively to opinion polls would tick the box for independence, just because it would represent change. Not enough to swing the result,perhaps, but enough to make everyone sit up and take notice.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

There's always that chance, of course, but my gut feeling "on the street" as it were is the opposite - if it comes to the crunch and an actual decision even more people will shy away.

However, there are so many variables between now and referendum time that any prediction is little more than a guess, and not an inspired or educated guess either.

We are in totally uncharted waters here.

We live in interesting times!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Alex Salmond either genuinely wants independance for Scotland, in which case he is a fool, or he merely uses it to drum up support for his party, in which case he is deceitful. It's a close call and he could even be both.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 1

natdoor

Why would the leader of a nationalist party that actually wants independence be a fool? Does it follow that anyone who has a different view to yourself is foolish?

Like it or not the people of Scotland voted for the Party that has independence as it's key feature (otherwise what point is their in being called SNP?) - so by your logic Scots are mainly fools. (..and since Scots of one kind or another have held ruling positions in UK governments over many, many years, then I suppose that makes the English and Welsh fools as well??).

Where is the deceit? Salmond consistently said the referendum would be towards the end of the term, and he's still saying that. Sounds consistent to me.

Following from what FE said, I think a lot of people may eventually be swayed to a 'yes', depending on how Salmond handles the next few years. And, of course there are different kinds of 'independence', just financial or total.

Interesting years ahead, no doubt about that.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Under the Barnett formula Scotland receives £7.5 billion more in public spending than the equivalent population (5 million)in England. Scotland would also lose much of its industrial base if it went independent. In my view, that makes anyone who supports it foolish. I suspect that Salmond fully realises this but uses the prospect of independence as a way of gaining personal power.

In my view, Scotland could only survive as a low wage country after independence. I haven't met one here in the south who would dream of returning now or after independence.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Sorry, but how can you know what people would do about staying or returning to Scotland before they have seen what difference independence actually makes.

Silly to quote Barnett formula when there will be no such thing after the event. The UK government has not exactly helped Scottish industry over many years - let's remember Thatcher and her hatred of all things Scottish - except wasting the oil revenues on keeping the dole queues long.

Scotland has a long tradition of good education, and can, and would, attract many high-end industies. But we could argue non-proveable hypothetical points all night and never agree.

Scottish people will eventually decide, and I, for one, will trust them.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

To make what I would consider a more realistic comparison compare Scotland with Norway. Both have similar populations yet since oil was discovered Norway has become one of the richest countries in Europe and Scotland has languished behind most. Norway has also harvested its oil revenues wisely and will have this support for decades to come unlike the UK which has frittered much of them away. Scotland also has one of the highest natural energy supplies in the world with regard to gas and electricity provision which I understand provides more than the country needs. Having sufficient natural resources in energy, power and water is what most countries crave for and Scotland has all of these in Spades.

From an economic point of view thare is little doubt that Scotland would do very well on its own but the argument is not really about that but about whether being a part of the UK is good for Scotland and its people or indeed good for the other parts of the UK as well.

During the Royal wedding for example I absolutely lost count of the number of times the BBC (sorry the EBC) let important people get away with calling the bride the future Queen of England without even making any attempt to corrrect them. The same happened in America when the Queen made her visit as nearly all the UK Embassy staff called her the Queen of England. Maybe the English are trying to tell us something.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

This question of Scottish independence is subject to considerable discussion in some quite high places and is not going away just yet, it would seem. Apparently the UK government wouldn't stand in the way of a independence vote in Scotland, according to this BBC report. TC.

click here

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

That's good of them!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...