We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish election and SNP win

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that the SNP have won 69 seats and thus gained an overall majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election. Gaining this majority now means he has enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum. Do you think that Alex Salmond, when elected the First Minister of Scotland, will now strive to achieve his long-held wish?

Secondly, what in your opinion would separation mean to the rest of us in Britain? TC.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 1

Business reaction

Not all business seems to be as pessimistic as fourm member!

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Is it time to start on repairs to Hadrian's Wall? It is looking a bit worse for wear.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"Is it time to start on repairs to Hadrian's Wall"

Yes, absolutely - only this time it's to keep the English out. Surely if Scotland is such a backward, money-absorbing country then Cameron would be only too pleased to let them 'get on with it' - and so save England all that money. Suspicious, methinks!

Suggests to me that all the negative finance information saying the Scots are net 'takers' may well be rubbish. Interesting to listen to Nobel prize winning J. Stiglitz on Newsnight, particularly his view on Scotland's oil and how it was 'wasted'!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Cameron would be only too pleased to let them 'get on with it' "

Show me any world leader who is prepared to give up territory and power.

You're still in your fantasy world.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Some things he will almost certainly now get on with.

Minimum alcohol price is one as forum member says, lower the drink drive limit, control over air weapons once the Westminster legislation is passed, certainly changes to legislation on knife crime.

Maybe even a penny on income tax, but only for the very rich, he doesn't want to lose all that new found support in Glasgow!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

..and is there evidence to back up all the claims that Scotland is a net 'taker'?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

mordwydd

Could you possibly take the time to explain where you get the idea, from what I said, that I'm in this 'fantasy world' you state?

Why not take the full quote, together with the 'if' rider? Or would that spoil your post?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

OK

"Yes, absolutely - only this time it's to keep the English out. Surely if Scotland is such a backward, money-absorbing country then Cameron would be only too pleased to let them 'get on with it' - and so save England all that money. Suspicious, methinks!"

Show me any world leader who is prepared to give up territory and power

I get the idea you're in a fantasy world because you seem to believe that independence may happen soon.

I repeat yet again, all Alex Salmond has promised is a referendum. All the polls and surveys and predictions suggest that 70% of the people are against independence.

I believe it is now inevitable, but not for at least 25, possible even 50, years, by which time the world, the SNP leadership, and perhaps even forum member, will have changed.

I make no bones about the fact I am a strong nationalist, both in my native country and my adopted one, and would be a paid up member of the SNP were I a Scot, but I am also a realist.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

mordwydd

"..you seem to believe that independence may happen soon."

I refer you to my first post in this thread, which was also the first response to the OP, in which I clearly said "So, yes, they do seek independence eventually, but likely to be a good few years yet.

That, presumably puts me in exactly the same world as your good self!! (Fantasy or otherwise).

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"..the way debate works.."

I didn't make the statement you refer to earlier, I merely asked if there was evidence that Scotland is a net 'taker'. A perfectly reasonable question, I would have thought, in the circumstances where others are claiming the opposite.

But, as you are appointing yourself as debate organiser, then we obviously must play by your rules!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...