We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish election and SNP win

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that the SNP have won 69 seats and thus gained an overall majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election. Gaining this majority now means he has enough Holyrood votes to hold an independence referendum. Do you think that Alex Salmond, when elected the First Minister of Scotland, will now strive to achieve his long-held wish?

Secondly, what in your opinion would separation mean to the rest of us in Britain? TC.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

fourm member

That's a racist remark.

If it's good enough for Slovenia and Slovakia it's good enough for us!

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

The most basic of research shows that Scotland is a net contibutor to the UK. Only the London Evening Standard continues to peddle the under informed nonsense that Scotland is subsidised by the rest of the UK.

I assume when seperation comes the Prime Minister of what remains of the UK will make a speach thanking Scotland and her natural resources for saving the UK from bankruptcy and the IMF again.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"I think people in Germany would say they've done enough supporting economic basket cases"

Strange, then, that Cameron says he will 'fight with every fibre of his body' to keep Scotland in the UK.
Also it would mean the Tories would be in permanent power in England if they lost the Scottish Labour constituencies - are you saying the Tories wouldn't like that?

For a so-called 'basket case', Scotland seems somewhat popular with Cameron, don't you think?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Scotland seems somewhat popular with Cameron"

Too popular.

I don't think he (or Clegg for that matter) did the local parties any favours by coming to Scotland to "assist" in campaigning.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

There's some stuff from the SNP

http://www.snp.org/node/17120

You will also find under FOI papers that were released shortly after oil was discovered that basically demanded lies be told to undermine Scotland

Any evidence you guys have to the contrary would be appreciated

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

**fourm member **"Cameron has the best interests of all the people of the UK in mind and is determined to stop the Scottish people making a terrible mistake."

By what divine right does Cameron have the monopoly on deciding about 'the Scottish people making a terrible mistake'??

He is basically saying that the people of Scotland are incapable of ruling themselves, and that could be dangerous territory!

The normal Scots 'pysche' says anything Tory is not good for them (demonstrated over many years at the ballot box), so if Cameron keeps up the 'over my dead body' stand, then independence becomes that bit more likely.

Now wait for the push on Corporation tax - as has been said, Eck's a canny lad!!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

'altruistic politician'

Now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

ha ha dismiss as you see fit; especially if it doesn't fir with your preconceived view.

Still waiting on your body of evidence.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Cant Scotland support its self??"

Yes, just let us keep all the duty on drinks distilled in Scotland.

That's not just the whisky, the Cameron Brig distillery in Fife produces 500 bottles of vodka and gin per minute, 3 million cases per month!

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

25% of food and drink exports from the UK come from Scotland.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......