We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has fuel costs changed your car usage?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

As I'm sure we all know, fuel is currently very expensive (and somehow I don't think it's going to come downeither!). But I'm noticing that althought through the day the roads are just as congested as they always are, through the evening they seem to be a lot quieter. Are you using your vehicle significantly less for personal/leisure reasons because of higher running costs, or am I just seeing a 'blip' in car usage?

No links, BTW, just personal observation. And has anyone else noticed this?

WTM

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Yes, I'd minimised my mileage and gone for a fuel efficient driving style right up to the point where my car got rear ended by a pick up and written off. Half heartedly looking at brochures but fuel efficiency and CO2 levels are definitely going to be a factor.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

It's my opinion that its a good thing people are thinking more about their journeys, and trying their best (usually) to be more frugal with the fuel they do use. However I dont think that we've seen the last of the tax hikes on fuel, so people had probably better get used to it.

WTM

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I was teaching my partner to drive,but we cannot afford the fuel for lessons so she only gets to drive for essential trips.A supermarket was offering 5p a litre discount if you'd spent over a certain amount in the shop,& the queues outside their filling station showed just how many had taken advantage of this offer.I was filling up every week,but now I'm running the car on half a tank & its been over a month since I last bunged in £20.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I have increased my use by travelling an extra 5 miles for a better paid job to help pay my travel cost, 28 up to 33 miles each way.

Noldi

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

I have cut my travel to a minimum and drive as eco friendly as possible, light touch, coasting etc. But £20 worth of petrol still goes nowhere, even in my little 1.1 fiesta.

I get annoyed when I see MPs on TV being driven around in big gas guzzling cars, either official, or paid for on expenses, while telling the rest of us we should pay high petrol taxes in the name of environmental friendliness.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

robgf. I hope you know that "Coasting" is illegal and a bad driving habit?

But I am just wondering how many other motorists will be "driven" to doing things such as that to save fuel.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Bingalau You may like to know that in the past A Lanchester was made with a Freewheel device.

Coasting" is illegal and a bad driving habit.

WHEN they bring the Price Down I may stop doing it. Done it for ny on 50 years

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS my first motor was a Push Bike with a 25cc Motor fitted in the Back wheel, called a Cyclemaster. 240 miles to the Gallon 17shillings and 6 pence for Road Tax for year and £2.50 for Insurance, Petrol was Half a Crown a Gallon that is in today’s money 12 and a half pence a gallon

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

One of my earlier cars was an old Rover P4, I think an 80, which had a freewheel device, controlled from inside the car.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Bingalau and morddwyd Free wheel was also fitted to my 1973 SAAB99[ basic Truimph Dolomite 1500 engine with a SAAB cylinder head to make it a 1750cc]

Woody 'Petrol 12.5 p in todays money'

What were you earning then? Compared to a similar chippy earnings to day?

In my earlier post I reported that research seems to indicate that fuel is actually cheaper now than in the 1950's taking into account the general inflationary trend of all things.

Can any one confirm or deny this ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia