We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has fuel costs changed your car usage?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

As I'm sure we all know, fuel is currently very expensive (and somehow I don't think it's going to come downeither!). But I'm noticing that althought through the day the roads are just as congested as they always are, through the evening they seem to be a lot quieter. Are you using your vehicle significantly less for personal/leisure reasons because of higher running costs, or am I just seeing a 'blip' in car usage?

No links, BTW, just personal observation. And has anyone else noticed this?

WTM

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Unfortunatly my use has gone up because my shift times have changed so my finish time is now past when the last ferry goes so instead of cycling and using ferry now have to drive the 15miles round and back each day.

But as others have said have been using onboard computer to monitor the way I drive and I think I will have to go smaller next change as the Nissan Primera SVE is a very thirsty beast

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My confession is that I'm using the car just as much as always, but I find I'm thinking about the cost more than I used to. I suppose that means I'm one step away from deciding to drive less if I can.

The problem is, my house is some way from the nearest shop, so perhaps we'll have to be more careful to get stuff in when we do a main shopping trip, instead of nipping out for something on the spur of the moment.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Fuel costs haven't really changed the way I drive, but I'm pretty careful on driving style anyway - driving between 30k and 40k miles a year you have to be. That said, I'm thinking about starting lessons for my advanced driving license, which covers fuel saving. It should also help improve my road safety, which I have been feeling getting more and more complacent recently. I picked up my car this afternoon after its LPG conversion, which should hopefully reduce my fuel bill by around 40% - 50% - I suspect this is by far and away the biggest fuel saving I could hope for!

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Yes, not necessarily because of the fuel cost but the fact that our grandkids have finally 'grown up' and walk to school or to the college, in the case of my granddaughter. That just leaves their springer spaniel Poppy to have its daily run out to the moors or beaches. Even this averages around three to four work days a week, as my daughter gets a day of each week.

During the recent extended holiday break our old car made only a few necessary shopping trips and the rest of the time remained garaged. I was surprised yesterday to find that its fuel tank was 3/4 full over three weeks after it was filled. A tankful used to last us around two weeks before.

Tip, don't forget to keep the tyres correctly inflated to ensure less road surface resistance. Under inflation increases fuel consumption and tyre wear, as well as affecting the steering and braking performance. TC.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Colin

I get fed up being stuck behind some numpty doing 35mph on a single lane A road

And I get fed up with those who drive closely behind me trying to make me drive faster. I don't dawdle but I drive at a speed, especially on country roads, that I think is appropriate and safe, and get annoyed with those who think that although the speed limit may be the default 60mph that they HAVE to drive at that speed or faster.

There is one country road that I use fairly often which has a number of semi blind twists and turns and is fairly narrow at times, and I feel comfortable at about 40/45mph but regularly get hassled by people going considerably faster than this.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

There do seem to be fewer cars on the road, a notorious roundabout near by which regularly had 'numptys' blocking - not withstanding yellow boxes, seems to be clear more frequently.

Fuel cost to me is not a problem - yet - because I have a bit of 'fat' to absorb still - When I took delivery of the car just a year ago it came with half a tank of fuel- I immediately topped it up - and there after each month on about the same day put the same 'cash value' in [£25]- so far the mileage has been approximately the same - but the fuel gauge comes up a little lower each fill, but not enough to consider upping the spend.

A double bonus on Thursday - I took a couple to the seaside to meet up with others for annual walk- Dover- St Maragrets bay along the cliff top and return.

The mileage was an add on to my noormal- but the consumption was better cruising down the M2/A2- MPG improved to 6065 from the normal 50/55 [1500 turbo diesel and my companions left money on the seat to share the fuel cost to boot.

As for other drivers - whilst I was content to cruise at 60/65 along the relatively quiet roads- I was constantly overtaken by all sorts of vehicles with drivers- pedal to metal- obviously oblivious to consumption worries,company vehicles [ or subsidised fuel] no doubt in the main,- particularly 'Beemers' whose drivers love to tailgate, with one exception and here I had to push up to 70 plus to get around a very shiny ,immaculate Ford Prefect of I guess 1950's vintage.

I came across one comment - on a pricing site - was it Martin Lewis? Where the comment was in real terms[inflation and all that] fuel is actually cheaper than in 1950-60's--do your own sums- if you can remember that far back

Was it?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Referring to another driver as "some numpty", simply because he/she is driving more slowly than you is precisely the kind of attitude that marks you as an intolerant driver.

Intolerant drivers are a menace on our roads, and are probably the cause of more accidents than anything else.

I regularly do a drive that involves leaving a motorway and travelling along a fairly lonely, fairly winding country road for about eight miles. About six months ago I was on the road early one morning, and came up behind two cars, both travelling at around 45 miles an hour. I could see that the car in front of me was just itching to overtake the lead car, and eventually he thought he saw his chance. He pulled onto the wrong side of the road and accelerated fast, passing the lead car just as the road turned quite hard to the right. Travelling far too fast, he didn't make the turn, and went straight off the road, through a chain link fence into a garden centre.

He was uninjured, but his car was a mess, as were many plants, a stack of water butts, and a pile of glazed pots.

I wonder who the 'some numpty' was in that scenario?

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

I thought when I sent my post that I would be thought of as an intolerant, tail gating driver but I’m not. I can’t do anything about other people’s driving. I don’t tail gate and I don’t overtake unless it is safe to do so. I also don’t treat the speed limit as a target as 45 to 50 mph on a clear road with a 60mph limit is fine. I drive a Honda Jazz which is not a fast car but I do like to make progress!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Drive with your tank half full (or less) and your mileage will increase. Petrol is quite heavy. Also of course get shut of all the stuff in your boot. Remove outside appendages such as roof racks which very seldom get used. Others have already mentioned tyre pressures and conditions. Common sense and good driving habits will also increase your mileage. But I thought everybody was taught these things when learning to drive.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

About 10 days ago we traveled with a full car on the M62. It was a 120 mile round trip climbing over the pennines. I normally drive using the accelerator all the time observing the national speed limits. This time I set the cruise control to 62mph and was staggered to see the computer say I had averaged 64.5mpg for the journey. The official combined mpg is 47.9 yet I consistanley get 54+.

I think a lot of drivers are finding by slowing down, slightly, they get more value for the fuel the put in their vehicle.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes