We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has fuel costs changed your car usage?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

As I'm sure we all know, fuel is currently very expensive (and somehow I don't think it's going to come downeither!). But I'm noticing that althought through the day the roads are just as congested as they always are, through the evening they seem to be a lot quieter. Are you using your vehicle significantly less for personal/leisure reasons because of higher running costs, or am I just seeing a 'blip' in car usage?

No links, BTW, just personal observation. And has anyone else noticed this?

WTM

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes my Annual mileage as Dropped quite a bit when I MOT my Car

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

As I have a severely disabled daughter my car usage remains the same. However I have altered the way I drive, less of banging my foot down on the accelerator and less use of brakes which according to the onboard computer as increased my Mpg from 37 to 43 Mpg.

I live on the East Coast and have never seen so much traffic as over the holiday period. Probably things will quieten down now the holidays are over

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Yes.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

No

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Yes, have a holiday bolt hole, 230 mile round trip but don't go as often as in the past.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

No. It costs more to go the same distance but it's a cost that has to be absorbed. This raises the cost of living and everyone ends up with less cash in their pocket. Same with booze, smokes and anything else that might be considered slightly pleasurable.

The Government know we will absorb this cost so keep putting the tax up.

One of my personal goals is to move somewhere warm when I retire. I will probably build in the taxation policies of the retirement destination and hopefully end up somewhere in the UAE where you can probably still fill a car for less than a tenner (whilst getting your windscreen cleaned, water checked etc)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It must be effecting some people badly, because yesterday I was at the local Tesco superstore, and their filling station had long queues. I was going to put some petrol in the vehicle, but decided against waiting.

The thing that was most noticeable, was Tesco offering petrol at approx £1.32 litre and a local independent (about a mile from Tesco) was offering theirs at £1.39 litre, and their forecourt was virtually empty, except for a prisoner transportation vehicle that was filling up.

My own driving habits are not much different to previous, because over the past years I have reduced mileage considerably.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's beginning to.

£70 to fill up is not now the sort of expense you want twice a week.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

My driving habits haven’t changed as fortunately it’s a cost I can absorb. I do very little social driving but I have quite a long drive to and from work in a rural setting and I enjoy it. I don’t speed but I get fed up being stuck behind some numpty doing 35mph on a single lane A road. They probably think they're saving fuel but I can bet that they’re in top gear with the car shuddering along doing the engine and transmission no good at all.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

yes, do not go away in the campervan so often now, diesel round here £1.41-£1.42, service last week £200, insurance £266, its going back to the early 70's era where any car was a luxury

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...