We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has fuel costs changed your car usage?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

As I'm sure we all know, fuel is currently very expensive (and somehow I don't think it's going to come downeither!). But I'm noticing that althought through the day the roads are just as congested as they always are, through the evening they seem to be a lot quieter. Are you using your vehicle significantly less for personal/leisure reasons because of higher running costs, or am I just seeing a 'blip' in car usage?

No links, BTW, just personal observation. And has anyone else noticed this?

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

SparkyJack-- I can neither confirm or deny, but the experts seem to be saying that the price of oil as come down, so no need for price increases.

Woodchip-- I had two Cyclemasters, and can well remember cycling more than using petrol mixture power. Also had a BSA Winged Wheel. The Tomo moped, NSU Quickly, Capri scooter and Ariel Leader then came into their own as my follow-on substitutes :O)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Last Motorbike I had was a AJS 500 Single About 85 flat out with Avon fairing and Leg shields, did about 80 miles to gallon did not matter if it was ridden single or two up, it still did the same

SparkyJack Wage after leaving school 30 bob a week, started as Tea masher on a big site. went down Pit or to you a Mine, in 1954 just before I got Married

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

SparkyJack,

I've seen data in the past for inflation adjusted fuel prices from the early 1900s onwards, but am struggling to find it at the moment. In the mean time, This Link provides data from 1983 onwards. Since 1983 is post 'oil shock', WW1 & WW2 it won't include all the spkies that have ocurred thoughout the decades.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

No, I only do about 7000 miles per year, and I can't really cut that back any more. Being retired the cost of fuel is a major problem, as neither my state pension. or my own personal pension can hope to keep pace with the cost of living.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"30 bob a week,"

Good money in '54.

I started a year earlier, 7/6 (37.5 pence) a week.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"1973 SAAB99[ basic Truimph Dolomite 1500 engine with a SAAB cylinder head to make it a 1750cc]*" I don't get that.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Morddwyd. Are you sure you don't mean per hour? I started work at the age of fourteen for the princely sum of 4/- a day, 28/- a week. You were not a worker at those rates you were a slave.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Weekly wage 30 bob = £1.10s Half a crown a gallon this came to one twelfth of your weekly wage.

How does this price of a gallon of petrol to today compare to your pension? They are right fuel is cheaper to day then 50 years ago

To equate with 1950's prices Petrol would be in the order of £12 a gallon.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There has been little doubt, for the last 10 years or so, that we need to curtail/restrict our over-use of Private Transport.

No Government has had the guts to deny people the right to choose, but now it has been forced upon us. Fuel Tax is only one factor involved and is actually a smokescreen, as the prices would have been rising anyway.

Rawprawn and I can use our Bus Passes, Rail Cards or even a Bicycle.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"right fuel is cheaper to day then 50 years ago"

Which explains why we didn't adopt the automatic gearbox as we discussed in the last week or so.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...