We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to include a link in your post

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties with including a hyperlink in their posts. It's obviously easy enough to type the full address of another web page in the text, but if you want to make a link that others can click on to go to a page on another site, here's how you do it:-

In the text entry box you'll see a number of text formatting icons. One of the icons is a green circle with a small right-facing arrow. When you want to make a link, click the icon.

A dialogue box will appear, in which you can enter a web address. Enter the address of the page you want to link to, making sure that you don't duplicate the 'http' that is already in the box by default.

When you've entered the address, click 'OK' and the link text will appear in your post, together with the highlighted words 'link text' in brackets.

Delete the 'link text' and substitute words of your choice - 'click here' for instance - but don't touch the brackets or anything else in the link text. Don't expect the hyperlink to appear in your text, that happens when you submit your post.

Carry on typing your post, and submit it when you've finished. The hyperlink will appear automatically.

Like most things, it's simple when you get used to it, and it all takes far less time than it takes to read these instructions.

I hope that clears things up for those of you who aren't sure.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Bingalau. [That helps enormously if one is a little bit slow at picking up new things. (Me for instance).

[And me.]

If it is difficult for us just think how difficult it may be for new Forum members.

It is a massive change from the old version and still needs a bit of sorting out.

I will admit if I had my choice I would pick the older version it was easier to understand and more user friendly.

But I suppose I will get used to this after a while it's just taking a bit longer than normal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If it is difficult for us just think how difficult it may be for new Forum members.

I'm sure that some people will find using the forum harder than others, and that applies to all forums. We've had plenty of new registrations since the changed site was launched, and quite a few of those people have posted - particularly in the helproom.

We still have a fair bit of tweaking to do, and I'm sure it will all be fine. The complaints we're getting now are restricted to a tiny minority of the number of people posting in the forum as a whole, and I hope that very soon their concerns will have been addressed. Then we can all settle down to talk about other things.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

buteman

If you forget about single line breaks, and just keep typing, you'll see that the text will wrap automatically in the preview box.

Enter two line breaks (as I just did), and they will appear. The thing to do is not to worry about manually dropping a single line - let the software wrap your text for you.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Forum Editor.

I will have to agree with you because if I said I did not know what you meant you would then find out how thick I really am.

So at the moment quite happy just hitting the enter Button on the keyboard twice. But thanks for taking the time for trying to explain it to me.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Buteman.

I think there is probably a little bit of reluctance in actually wanting to do something differently than we're used to doing. Does that make sense?

I know I can and will pick it up when I want to do it. but at the present I have no need to do it. I suppose I could practise as others have done, but can't be bothered.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Bingalau.

I would actually say it is a far slower way of doing things. Some things on the old set up were better[for me anyway] than the new set up.

No doubt about it it certainly looks far Superior.

I suppose it is Ok if you just want to browse here and there but if you use it constantly it can be a bit of a nuisance.

Never mind no doubt we will get used to it eventually.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more