We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to include a link in your post

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties with including a hyperlink in their posts. It's obviously easy enough to type the full address of another web page in the text, but if you want to make a link that others can click on to go to a page on another site, here's how you do it:-

In the text entry box you'll see a number of text formatting icons. One of the icons is a green circle with a small right-facing arrow. When you want to make a link, click the icon.

A dialogue box will appear, in which you can enter a web address. Enter the address of the page you want to link to, making sure that you don't duplicate the 'http' that is already in the box by default.

When you've entered the address, click 'OK' and the link text will appear in your post, together with the highlighted words 'link text' in brackets.

Delete the 'link text' and substitute words of your choice - 'click here' for instance - but don't touch the brackets or anything else in the link text. Don't expect the hyperlink to appear in your text, that happens when you submit your post.

Carry on typing your post, and submit it when you've finished. The hyperlink will appear automatically.

Like most things, it's simple when you get used to it, and it all takes far less time than it takes to read these instructions.

I hope that clears things up for those of you who aren't sure.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Press once for one line drop does not work for me.it just ends up in the same line as the others which makes my posts a poor to look at. Dropped it one press and I know it will not open on another line. So lets see what happens. And one more just for the sake of it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

buteman

You can see exactly how your post will look before you submit it. That's the point of having the preview panel below the text entry box.

What you see in the preview is precisely what you'll see when the post appears in the forum.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well pressing enter once does not work for me.

Just as lotvic says I have to press enter twice and it drops down two lines which does not look right.

As you can see it leaves a gap but the possibilities are it could just be problems with my computer but not sure. Once on Enter.

Twice on Enter.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It is no problem just did not know that you had to press enter twice to make it work.

I am Slowly picking up all the changes but will get there eventually.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

buteman is right, pressing once does not work for one line drop. You have to press twice and have a space between lines (new paragraph). I have pressed once for each of these sentences and in the preview box they do not go on separate lines although they do in the compose box.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Ho boy have to show my ignorance I cant get my head round it a step by step photo / picture guide would do it for me on the first link of the FEs to follow on how its done.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I've copied and pasted the instructions as given by the FE. I keep that handy and if I ever want to post a link I shall fish it out and follow it step by step. Maybe after using it once or twice it will become "easy-peasy" I hope.

Meanwhile the thing I like about this forum is that everybody is trying to help each other without any belittling going on. That helps enormously if one is a little bit slow at picking up new things. (Me for instance).

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Bingalau

"Meanwhile the thing I like about this forum is that everybody is trying to help each other without any belittling going on."

That's how it was in the Paste on this site when Members used to Better Test Software Programs etc

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Past not Paste

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just a Thought, Wonder Why we do not do it now? May be FE can put us in the Picture

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do