We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to include a link in your post

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties with including a hyperlink in their posts. It's obviously easy enough to type the full address of another web page in the text, but if you want to make a link that others can click on to go to a page on another site, here's how you do it:-

In the text entry box you'll see a number of text formatting icons. One of the icons is a green circle with a small right-facing arrow. When you want to make a link, click the icon.

A dialogue box will appear, in which you can enter a web address. Enter the address of the page you want to link to, making sure that you don't duplicate the 'http' that is already in the box by default.

When you've entered the address, click 'OK' and the link text will appear in your post, together with the highlighted words 'link text' in brackets.

Delete the 'link text' and substitute words of your choice - 'click here' for instance - but don't touch the brackets or anything else in the link text. Don't expect the hyperlink to appear in your text, that happens when you submit your post.

Carry on typing your post, and submit it when you've finished. The hyperlink will appear automatically.

Like most things, it's simple when you get used to it, and it all takes far less time than it takes to read these instructions.

I hope that clears things up for those of you who aren't sure.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Well like in your Last post, you do not use comers or anything. After a sentence, use a coma like you want to take a breath of air.

Like this in your last post

Ok while I am at it, will someone tell me how to type leaving spaces when starting a new sentence. Mine comes out all bunched up, even if I start a new sentence on another line. I hope you know what i am talking about.

And there is no need to start a new line, As all this depends on how its formatted

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Ok while I am at it will someone tell me how to type leaving spaces when starting a new sentence.

Mine comes out all bunched up even if i start a new sentence on another line.

I hope you know what i am talking about.

It looks ok now I think and I used the ENTER KEY to start a new line.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

FE

My apologies. I have been in plaster for 5 weeks, with a potential 10 months to go. I am, perhaps understandably, a little tetchy!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

HondaMan

No need to apologise, but thank you anyway. In your position I'm pretty sure I would be a little tetchy.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

alan14 made a point (6 May 10:08) with which I heartily agree that clicking on links opens in the same window which it never used to do. If that was done deliberately, it is one of the few things with the new design with which I disagree. Yes, I know a right click and "open in new tab" is available, but even after a few weeks, I still forget to do so.

I liked that bit the old way.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

QuizMan

"I liked that bit the old way."

I liked it that way too - we'll see what we can do.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

buteman

Press Enter twice to start a new paragraph.

Like this is.

As with all things, only easy when you know how.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok lotvic I was wondering how to do it.Thanks for the info.

It makes it that bit easier when you know how.

It is just something else we did not have to do on the old browser.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It Still does not look right though, What happened to the press enter once and it only dropped one line instead of two.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It is just something else we did not have to do on the old browser."

What old browser?

If you press the enter key in the post text box once your cursor will drop one line. Press it twice and it drops two lines - it's exactly the same in every word processor ever released. Press once for one line drop

Press twice for two.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite