We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to include a link in your post

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties with including a hyperlink in their posts. It's obviously easy enough to type the full address of another web page in the text, but if you want to make a link that others can click on to go to a page on another site, here's how you do it:-

In the text entry box you'll see a number of text formatting icons. One of the icons is a green circle with a small right-facing arrow. When you want to make a link, click the icon.

A dialogue box will appear, in which you can enter a web address. Enter the address of the page you want to link to, making sure that you don't duplicate the 'http' that is already in the box by default.

When you've entered the address, click 'OK' and the link text will appear in your post, together with the highlighted words 'link text' in brackets.

Delete the 'link text' and substitute words of your choice - 'click here' for instance - but don't touch the brackets or anything else in the link text. Don't expect the hyperlink to appear in your text, that happens when you submit your post.

Carry on typing your post, and submit it when you've finished. The hyperlink will appear automatically.

Like most things, it's simple when you get used to it, and it all takes far less time than it takes to read these instructions.

I hope that clears things up for those of you who aren't sure.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Covergirl

'For any of you who have incompatibilities where icons do not display or work, try getting less paranoid and using IE, or set up your paranoia browser correctly.'

If that was supposed to be either helpful or humorous you failed - miserably!

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

PML I thought it was quite witty myself :)

Unfortunately I couldn't make one word out of paranoia and browser (like one can with banana & coffee = banoffee) more's the pity. Paranowsiar ? naaaah !!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"For any of you who have incompatibilities where icons do not display or work, try getting less paranoid and using IE, or set up your paranoia browser correctly."

Depends on your definition of "correctly".

I am slowly losing my sight and "correctly" for me means setting it up for optimum readability, whether in IE or any other. Unfortunately that means that some icons do not display.

That is not paranoia, it's called frustration.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

So why as PCA been on its knees all day? It looks like it got to my Stage and needs a pair of Crutches. It been virtually unusable for me today

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Somebody made the point

that the ability to customise the text on a hyperlink was something we have repeatedly been asked to provide.

So was the ability to format text, which we've provided

So was the ability to vote for a post, which we've provided

So was the ability to preview a post, which we've provided.

So was the ability to see your user stats, which we've provided.

We know that the site needs some tweaks, and we're working on those now. Shortly there will also be a user guide available, for those who aren't sure what to do.

When we launched the last site revision there were howls of protest, but we tweaked, and you got used it it. The same thing will happen with this version, and I can absolutely guarantee that in a few years time, when we launch another revision there will be those who say 'why can't we go back to the good old version of the site?'

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

My, my, FE is getting very defensive, isn't he?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Apart from the teething troubles and slow to load when it goes wobbly, I've got used to this new one mostly, liked the old one for it's simplicity, but I remember having to get used to that one also when it was 'new'. Hope it's not long before the annoying bits get put right on here. Would like to see dates on posts so you can see if it's an old one dragged up. Also would like a 24 hour clock.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Any forum that needs a "User Guide" has failed to deliver an intuitive user friendly site - sorry! This is just getting silly.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

HondaMan

"My, my, FE is getting very defensive, isn't he?"

Don't be so rude. I have nothing to defend, I was simply offering an explanation.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Al94

Plenty of forums offer a user guide - we've had one for years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED