We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to include a link in your post

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties with including a hyperlink in their posts. It's obviously easy enough to type the full address of another web page in the text, but if you want to make a link that others can click on to go to a page on another site, here's how you do it:-

In the text entry box you'll see a number of text formatting icons. One of the icons is a green circle with a small right-facing arrow. When you want to make a link, click the icon.

A dialogue box will appear, in which you can enter a web address. Enter the address of the page you want to link to, making sure that you don't duplicate the 'http' that is already in the box by default.

When you've entered the address, click 'OK' and the link text will appear in your post, together with the highlighted words 'link text' in brackets.

Delete the 'link text' and substitute words of your choice - 'click here' for instance - but don't touch the brackets or anything else in the link text. Don't expect the hyperlink to appear in your text, that happens when you submit your post.

Carry on typing your post, and submit it when you've finished. The hyperlink will appear automatically.

Like most things, it's simple when you get used to it, and it all takes far less time than it takes to read these instructions.

I hope that clears things up for those of you who aren't sure.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

My only problem with the new links is that the page opens in the same browser window or tab - the old way used to force a new window / tab, which left the PCA page open.

Now I have to right click the link to select open in new tab...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Of course, the instructions leave out one very important step if you have to use your browser accessibility options - switch to a different browser or reset your current browser options to default, so that you can see the text formatting icons.

Under the new system I have to use one browser for reading, and one for writing, hardly intuitive.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Yes. I use Opera and the additional (necessary) icons simply do not appear. |Obviously designed for IE, never mind the others!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

hyperlink Does not work for me most of the time, as the icons above the post thread does not load

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS When it does load, I just right click on http then choose paste

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

HondaMan - They appear in Opera for me.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Still trying to work out how I can Copy and paste in from a "document" containing URLs and get the links to appear automatically.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

WHY? some of you ask - some time ago after considerable demand (e.g. "why can't you do such and such like you can on other forums?"), the FE requested suggestions for what you (the user) would like to see as regards improvements to the site. A lot of suggestions were put forward and the ability to link relevent text to a URL was one of them, rather than just being faced with the standard "Click Here".

I can't find the actual thread due to the "improvements" which only give us 10 results per page on "my posts", which coupled with other "improvements" have made the PCA site interminably slow.

Other suggestions included and Edit button (after posting) and the ability to change fonts and colours amongst others.

Some suggestions have been granted; others haven't and there have been several threads relating to posting links, however I find it very simple now. See 3rd post on this thread

For any of you who have incompatibilities where icons do not display or work, try getting less paranoid and using IE, or set up your paranoia browser correctly.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ I guess that you are composing a post in Word and the document contains links and then you are pasting the document with the links. Regrettably I cannot see how the new system will allow you to automatically create those links.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps I might get told off for saying this, but I find that finding your way about is more like a trial and error exercise. It might eventually make sense to those of us who are uninitiated at present to the new forum ways.

Perhaps a tutorial page, similar to the forum rules page might be an advantage?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback