We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to include a link in your post

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties with including a hyperlink in their posts. It's obviously easy enough to type the full address of another web page in the text, but if you want to make a link that others can click on to go to a page on another site, here's how you do it:-

In the text entry box you'll see a number of text formatting icons. One of the icons is a green circle with a small right-facing arrow. When you want to make a link, click the icon.

A dialogue box will appear, in which you can enter a web address. Enter the address of the page you want to link to, making sure that you don't duplicate the 'http' that is already in the box by default.

When you've entered the address, click 'OK' and the link text will appear in your post, together with the highlighted words 'link text' in brackets.

Delete the 'link text' and substitute words of your choice - 'click here' for instance - but don't touch the brackets or anything else in the link text. Don't expect the hyperlink to appear in your text, that happens when you submit your post.

Carry on typing your post, and submit it when you've finished. The hyperlink will appear automatically.

Like most things, it's simple when you get used to it, and it all takes far less time than it takes to read these instructions.

I hope that clears things up for those of you who aren't sure.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

FE.With the old Click here's you could hover your mouse above it and it would tell you what program was on it without having to open it. Can they do the same with the link Test as you now have to open it to see what is being posted so that you do not duplicate the same program.

Like this post
badhair1963

Likes # 0

Ok, let's give this a go using IMDB as an example.

link text

Like this post
badhair1963

Likes # 0

I knew I'd get that wrong. DOH!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I'll give it another go

BBC Hopefully

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

That did it but it's hardly intuitive;-)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Buteman

If I hover over my link I get the address 'http://www.bbc.co.uk' in the bottom left corner of my FireFox browser.

Like this post
badhair1963

Likes # 0

Let's have another go.

IMDB

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

hssutton. Once you have used link text and just before you post it on the Forum Link text will be highlighted .Just remove link text leaving the brackets and type what you want on it and it will open with that on it. Like yourself I was having difficulty with it.Probably an age problem like you say.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Pine Man.Ok thanks for that it was the last place that I was expecting to see it.Thanks for the info.I suppose I was that used to getting it on the click here.So another problem solved.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I'm browsing this site much less than I did before the changes. The reason? It's much less user friendly. I can use any number of forums without this level of complexity - so I do. It's another case of 'doesn't it look pretty' whereas it should be 'it doesn't work as easily'. FE's long winded explanation of what was previously a very simple task totally illustrates the problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers