We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to include a link in your post

Forum Editor

Likes # 2

Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties with including a hyperlink in their posts. It's obviously easy enough to type the full address of another web page in the text, but if you want to make a link that others can click on to go to a page on another site, here's how you do it:-

In the text entry box you'll see a number of text formatting icons. One of the icons is a green circle with a small right-facing arrow. When you want to make a link, click the icon.

A dialogue box will appear, in which you can enter a web address. Enter the address of the page you want to link to, making sure that you don't duplicate the 'http' that is already in the box by default.

When you've entered the address, click 'OK' and the link text will appear in your post, together with the highlighted words 'link text' in brackets.

Delete the 'link text' and substitute words of your choice - 'click here' for instance - but don't touch the brackets or anything else in the link text. Don't expect the hyperlink to appear in your text, that happens when you submit your post.

Carry on typing your post, and submit it when you've finished. The hyperlink will appear automatically.

Like most things, it's simple when you get used to it, and it all takes far less time than it takes to read these instructions.

I hope that clears things up for those of you who aren't sure.

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Peter to the likes of Regulars like you and i its easy..we have got accustomed to it however WHY make things harder than what they was? as in before the change over it was just a case of "PASTING" a URL/Link at the end of your thread..now its a tad more technical & for what advantage.? why didn't u guys keep it to how it was.? simple easy...what did u gain??? i am NOT the first to highlight this issue and almost a month later your creating a thread about this very subject..???

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

The functionality to include a suitable link word or phrase is the advantage, e.g. The BBC Site

Even simpler instructions - type the word or words you want to use as a link e.g. "The BBC Site", highlight that word or phrase, click the green circle with a small right-facing arrow, CTRL-V your URL into the box and click OK. Because the http:// is already selected it gets overwritten.

I like it :)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

click here

Ignore this if it comes up as a click here as i am just attempting to follow instructions.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

**But WHY can't they put linking back as it was?!! It is quite apparent that most of us don't like it or find it difficult to use. I just don't comprehend how anyone could have considered the present set up to be better. Apart from clever IT experts.who appear to be detached from the general user.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

My goodness that was easy I have been struggling with that since it was introduced.Still prefer the copy and paste mind you. My problem was I did not know that you had to change it just before posting it on the forum.You just click on the link test and change it to what you want just before posting. Covergirl that was using FE's method. FE would it not be easier just to change the Link Here to just say Click Here in the first place then we would not have to change anything.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

however WHY make things harder

Completely agree. TGhis new site is a BACKWARD step

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Using the icon to insert a link is common to most forums, what I wasn't sure about was using your own wording.

Now let's see if I've got it :)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j153/hssutton/RiverRyeNunnington.jpg

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

well that didn't work, obviously needs to be made more simple for us old folk :)

I deleted the above link and inserted my own title, probably not quite awake yet

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to