We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AV Explained

zzzz999

Likes # 0

http://i.imgur.com/Zb9tJ.png

This makes it clear for me

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The cartoon assumes that all the pubs are the same" Not at all, if you equate the pubs to the ones in my town then the result is:

The Red Lion; a traditional market place pub also serving fresh coffee and croissants for the elite shopper.

The Castle; a rough market traders pub that doubles as a seedy rockers bar at night, not a sophisticated coffee imbibery.

The Green Man; we don't have a Green Man, but I'll equate it's minority oddity to The Masons Arms. A very small and narrow squeezed in afterwards building that caters for old men sitting in corners. It's full once all the corners are occupied.

The Queen's Head; now a traditional Polish bar with Polish wooden shutters on the windows and bare wooden floorboards with basic wooden Polish furniture where the Polls like to stand up and sing traditional wooden sounding drinking songs (the Polls must like things basic and wooden), but in common with the other pubs, they're customers all like beer.

The Coffee Shop; a pretentious upstart that tries to give the impression of having a sophisticated and cosmopolitan continental street atmosphere, but fails when the fenced pavement area gets full of croaking and wheezing smokers.

So you can see from that perspective that... urm... well... yesssss... well you can see that the cartoon wasn't necessarily meant to be serious.

Like this post
feb

Likes # 0

But then the Lions will get together with the Queens, The Green Man will go to the Coffee Shop and they will all be shouting at the Castle! Nobody will have what they wanted and we'll all end up with Frothy Coffee!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Those who would drink at the Castle would never set foot in the Queen's Head and may prefer to have coffee.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But the Castle only serves Bird's mellow, and nobody likes that.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

And without the ability to rank order of preference (AV) 7 of the 10 don't get to choose a second or third place to have a drink and have to go to the Coffee Shop. So with FPTP we will never know if over half of them really wanted a beer or a coffee or which type of establishment they prefer to visit to have it in.

Also some say the beer in the Lions is a bit flat and the coffee is lukewarm.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

You're right about Bird's mellow.

Is the coffee regular or large size, latte, espresso, cappuccino, with our without milk and do the drinkers take sugar or sweeteners?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I dunno, I only do coffee at breakfast time!

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

The real meaning of the cartoon is that when you ask a silly question you get silly answers.

What should have been asked was are we going to the pub or for a coffee. Since the majority wanted to go to the pub the next question should have been which one.

The moral of the cartoon is that what we need is more politicians who can ask the right questions and fewer would be politicians whose only hope of getting elected is to fiddle with the voting system.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

It's all seems rather academic seeing the results so far.

Yes 4,338,664 No 9,340,738 79% of voting areas declared

AV voting

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Looks like we're all having coffee tonight then...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...