We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AV Explained

zzzz999

Likes # 0

http://i.imgur.com/Zb9tJ.png

This makes it clear for me

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Clear as chilled beer.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Best explanation that I've seen!!!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Probably works when deciding on the winners of track events in the Olympics as well?? :-))

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Can anyone post a direct link? Work firewall is blocking it!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Is it just the one page or am I missing something? I know how AV goes after that point (I think), but that page doesn't actually tell you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr, One page, Nothing complicated - 10 people voting the FPTP way (not AV):

7 want to go to various pubs, 3 (30%) want to go to coffee shop. FPTP is coffee shop (3 people) so 7 (70%) don't get what they want.

It illustrates why FPTP is not fair.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The cartoon is actually misleading. The cartoon assumes that all the pubs are the same. In politics the same situation would be 4 politicians from one party (beer) and 1 from the other (coffee).

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

lotvic, woolwell makes my point in a roundabout way.

it does indeed explain why fptp is not fair, but it does not go on to say that if two of those who originally wanted coffee then went for the Kings Head, the Lion or the Castle, that pub would then have 50% of the vote, so it would be the winner.

My points being that A) the page did not elaborate on how AV works and, B) the pubs are not the same.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I just noticed my explanation of AV above is flawed.

However, the pubs are not the same and the illustration falls short of explaining that and the process in general.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...