We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W Mids Police Force - takes the biscuit ???

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

It seems West Mids Police Force, in response to government cuts, have forced experienced police to retire, then they have been sent letter asking them if they would return to work as volunteers, supposedly in their previous role. Ha!

This has to be taking the biscuit, eh???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-13282047

(Sorry, can't work out how to place a link just now - will work in it ...)

Like this post
dwaynedibbly

Likes # 0

FOURM MEMBER.

The article doesn`t state the rank of the former officer.

What I assumed and forgive me if I didn`t make it clear. Is that a Senior officer or an HR officer has had this land on their desk, and thought "what a fantastic idea".

That same Senior "person" has obviously read the latest Big Society soundbite from the Home Office, and....well lets not go there.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Why are some people trying to make this subject a new issue, because isn't, and any time served police officer might tell you this. Some ex-police officer's never took up, and possibly never would, a possible option of becoming a 'special' because it was perhaps classed as a lower status position with no pay, but with the hassle. Would you fancy being in the rank of long-term constable or inspector, and then lowering your status in life?.

The people who may have taken up the option, were usually invited to do so, as a 'specials' section leader or commander, with an higher status administration level. There was also the particular police force policy, depending on where located, when certain terms and regulations forbid 'certain civilians' and people involved (past-present) with police work becoming 'special constable'.

Its a bit like one of our young local area commanders telling the public recently that due to warm weather, his police officers will be knocking doors in the early hours of the morning, if the officer's find windows and doors unlocked or property insecure. This is a 'new' exercise in an area of the city to cut out the recent increase in house burglary. I seem to recall that 'door trying' and waking up occupants of premises was a once regular police activity, and certainly not a 21st century masterpiece that some young inspector as thought out?.

Its a bit like Neighbourhood Watch and similar type schemes. Some police forces or officer's were in favour, when others were not. And I would suspect that most of the thoughts were perhaps based on delegation of powers?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow