We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W Mids Police Force - takes the biscuit ???

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

It seems West Mids Police Force, in response to government cuts, have forced experienced police to retire, then they have been sent letter asking them if they would return to work as volunteers, supposedly in their previous role. Ha!

This has to be taking the biscuit, eh???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-13282047

(Sorry, can't work out how to place a link just now - will work in it ...)

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

In some respects you can understand it, they have a good pension and pay-off, rather than filling shelves in the local DIY they will probably get all their expenses paid for and that puts them into calling the shots of how they want to work.

I used to have a pal who was a special constable and the subsistence he used to get was quite substantial.

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

I lost my chemist's job in a Power station due to Maggie's privatisation. So many chemists took the money and ran there was no experienced ones left. I then returned as a part time advisor at more money than before. The last one I did was at £80 an hour!!

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Well, I have to admit that does make it sound a bit more attractive. However, it does sound rather a cheek - to force retirement, then hope you'll come back to work without pay. Presumably, many of these folks will be able to persue good earning power anyway, as they will still be good for many years yet, even though it is difficult getting employment when 'mature'.

As always, there are many perpectives to a situation. Be interesting to hear of them.

BaldEagle - sounds like you are very enterprising and came out on top! Well done!!!

The biscuit - being to get the workforce back without pay. Has to be a good cost effective method.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

It seems they have cut the wage bill to come in line with the government financial cuts but want the specials to help them meet government crime solving figures.

Noldi

Like this post
dwaynedibbly

Likes # 0

Im not knocking specials, but in 18yrs of working for a Northern Police Service. I think Ive only ever seen specials used to fill gaps in staffing at weekends. I have never known one to take on a full investigation into any crime (thankfully). As a CSI, I have never had any forensic work requested from, or passed to myself or my colleagues by a Special Constable. I think the majority of responses by former West Mids officers will be "shove it" and rightly so. Yet another brilliant idea by a Senior Officer (or faceless HR person) who doesn`t have a clue about operational policing.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When a previous long term police officers retire on a pension (possibly at 50 years old), quite a number were offered or returned in civilian roles with the appropriate wage being paid for the civilian job that they take on. Due to government restrictions, a large number of these jobs are no longer on offer or available.

I mentioned 'previous long term' because rules of employment and pension rights have now changed or are going to 'under reviews'. Even leaving now under 'ill health' classifications as its restrictions and is no longer an easy get-out option, both for the force or the individual.

Even forensics are in serious trouble with budget balancing, and it is now proposed that this work might (going through parliament at present)be 'contracted out' completely to private enterprise.

With regards to Special Constables, this is still classed as a few hours per week or month, mainly on a voluntary basis. Even expenses, benefits or allowances have been cut, which as resulted in lack of public response in perhaps doing a public duty. Training of a Special doesn't come cheap, especially if the recruit leaves within a short time, so utilising an ex-police officer might sound like a good financial proposition for a police force to adopt?.

Whether this (not so new) idea will take off or whether the ex-police officer will feel offended, then only time will tell. Some retired police officer's might want to stick to the old ways of having one of the many jobs available to ex-police officer's with a nice steady wage, and further pension rights!.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Around Again, it really is easy to post a link once the penny drops. Your link

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

They are trying everything to cut costs. I have been refused early release of my Police Pension. Despite this being the most painful condition in the world and incurable the SMP said there is nothing to prove that I could not return to the full duties of a Police Officer within the next 10 years and thats despite me only being 3 yrs away from pension age.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

With a drop in income affecting many people, including those already at the bottom of the pile in receipt of reduced social security payments, it's perhaps to be expected that there will be an increase in crime.

Couple this with an increase in social unrest as redundancies and the drop in living standards start to bite and you wonder if we actually need more police, not less.

That's not to say that the police should be immune from efficiency savings and be striving for greater productivity.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

oresome

Blunkett thought he had the answer to all that, when he brought out PCSO's?.

When they were first introduced there was a big financial incentive offered to police forces. Now perhaps no longer?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded