We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Henry Cooper

Strawballs
Resolved

Likes # 0

Our Enry has died aged 76, such a shame a true gentleman. Click Here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 3

He was an object lesson in sportsmanship.

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

Totally agree with all that has been said (and I bet he walked on the outside of the pavement!) But this is when sport was a sport and the participants had some conviction and credibility.

Now sport (mostly) is a business - sad loss for all but the shareholders.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

I watched the replay of the Bugner fight a few years ago, I'll admit it was much closer than I remembered, but Enry still won it the only one who thought otherwise was the ref. I don't think "Prone to cuts" quite covers it, Henry Cooper splattered more claret over the ring than anybody else I can think of. Still time to put away the Ammer and rest in peace.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

A true sportsman.

He will be remembered with affection.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I met him many years ago at an open day at Perkins Diesels, Peterborough. A very nice, quietly spoken man, with the biggest hands I have ever shaken. Fortunately we had a photo taken together which I kept and now is scanned for posterity.

There are many I have met and few I remember as well.

Like this post  
anchor

Likes # 0

I recall a long time ago he ran a Greengrocers shop in Wembley High Road on the corner of Ealing Road. He was always cheerful, and often acknowledged drivers, stopped at the traffic lights by his shop, and recognised him.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

"Never won a world title". He was knighted;though. The only one who hurt the "best".

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

They cut Clays glove between the rounds so he had to have it changed giving him more time because Cooper had him rattled!!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

He had some left hook on him. Just a pity he was prone to cuts.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

A finer purveyer of gentlemens 'smellies' I have yet to see.

A gent.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more