We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

17 pages .....

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

I had to turn over before I got to the REAL news in the morning paper today.

The first

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

What a ridiculous attitude

Nobody has suggested that we should "pretend the real world's stopped happening", but to infer that we shouldn't indulge in a bit of pageantry now and then because we're engaged in a military action somewhere is plain silly.

You're entitled to take a negative attitude if you like, but when you try to justify it by making daft remarks I'm afraid you lose credibility. Next you'll be saying that we should have no public events of any kind if it involves public money or if we're involved in any kind of conflict, in which case we had better cancel the annual memorial ceremony at the Cenotaph right away, and forbid any further Battle of Britain celebrations.

The State opening of Parliament can go as well, as can Trooping the Colour.

Do away with all of it, so we can subside into the kind of grey mediocrity that we would deserve. Hardly distinguishable from those dull, downtrodden nations which struggle to find a sense of national identity we would finally make you a happy man. I feel deeply sorry for you, and thank my lucky stars that I don't share your dismal outlook on life.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

What a ridiculous attitude

No, it's not - it's my opinion and one to which I'm entitled. I believe this is called Speakers Corner.

I do not expect anybody, including you, to be rude and dismissive to anyone who has an opinion which differs to your own.

Although, over the years, you've constantly shown that to be your 'style'.

Remember, that without PCA members, you'd be twiddling your thumbs.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Remember, that without PCA members, you'd be twiddling your thumbs.

Errmm, no I wouldn't. I would be running the business that I have been running for many years. What I do here is in addition to that - I do it in what is laughingly referred to as my 'spare time'.

As for "No, it's not - it's my opinion and one to which I'm entitled" I think you'll find that I said as much in my earlier post.

I'm not rude and dismissive to anyone who has an opinion which differs from my own, I just expect someone who attempts to justify a position to come up with something a little more reasoned than your cynical comments. Remember that I didn't ask you to justify your opinion - you chose to do that, and if you do so you must expect comment. I was quite happy to post an opposing view, and expect comment in the same way. It's called debate, and doesn't need vindictive remarks from you about what I would be doing without PCA members.

This isn't a fighting topic - you think the whole event was a waste of money, and I don't. I respect your right to say so, but try to do it without getting all dramatic about Afghanistan and heads up backsides.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It wasn't my thing either CIG, so I just had a nice day out walking along Stanage Edge, watched some rock climbing that I can't do anymore, pulled the dog out of a bog hole and got soaked in the process and had some spagbol for tea that I made from tinned toms a couple of weeks ago. Oh, I can live the life me...

I won't bother with a paper tomorrow morning as today's 17 pages are nothing to tomorrows number.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Stanage Edge

I once went to a big house called North (something) Hall which I think is near Stanage edge - or am I dreaming of another place altogether? Stunning landscapes, if it's the same place.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Not my thing either,but am resigned to hearing all about every detail of the wedding if I turn on TV/radio or venture out(as I will be to work soon)Fortunately,I drive a van @ work,thus avoiding the TV & general public(there's a total of 7 buildings around the town carrying bunting)& I'll burn a few CD's to play in the car thus avoiding the radio's frequent announcements of every detail.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

Burn plenty of CDs, you may have a hard time avoiding it over the next few days. The wedding probably had the second biggest viewing audience in world TV history at just over 2 billion. Princess Diana's funeral got the biggest audience so far, with 2.5 billion.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

WEll now this seems to be getting a little heated does it not? For my part in previous threads on the topic I had said I would not watch- I had better things to do - may be pick up highlights later.

In the event the TV was on,

I had my wireless phones one and went about things whilst commentary on the crowds and outside comings wrent on - but returned to watch the live happenings in the Abbey and the procession thereafter.

And I have to say it did bring a tear to remind my of my day 54 years ago and the the subsequent Royal weddings I attended [ As a Met Police Thames Special Constable route liner]

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"a big house called North (something) Hall"

I can only think off, and see on the OS maps Stanage Lodge or Moscar House at the northern A57 end. But Brumas will probably have a picture of it somewhere in it's Edwardian heyday:)

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

Well it made me feel PROUD to be English.....what other country could do this as good as us, none.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes