We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

17 pages .....

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

I had to turn over before I got to the REAL news in the morning paper today.

The first

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

hssutton

"Not sure if I'm a convert, but have to agree with userious?"

I think that's a fairly common experience - even if you can't stand the mention of the words 'Royal family' you would have to be rather insensitive not to feel at least the stirrings of patriotic pride at the sight of our country doing its thing with soldiers on horseback, carriages, and all the grandeur that is Westminster Abbey in full dress.

I know of no other country in the world can match us for it.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Not my scene (had to attend too many ceremonial parades when I knew there was real work waiting to be done), but good luck to them.

Hope they reach the fifty we have managed.

In an effort to avoid it I went shopping.

Damned if they didn't broadcast the thing live over the PA!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes, made me proud to be British too.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"she bent her head forward and it looked as if she had nodded off"

We noticed the same thing, and thought the same thing. She must have sat through a thousand church services, and I imagine that seemingly interminable sermons act as a soporific. By then the Royal thoughts must have been straying to that refreshing gin and tonic waiting back at the palace.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

'Royal thoughts must have been straying to that refreshing gin and tonic' ... when The Queen left the balcony after the fly past, her body language definitely said 'Now for that G&T'!

I enjoyed the whole affair: the British can do this sort of thing better than anyone else. Other countries may have more polished military parades, but there's a certain humanity in British pageantry that nobody else can match.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

IClaudio

"...there's a certain humanity in British pageantry that nobody else can match."

I think you've put your finger on it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more