We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

17 pages .....

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

I had to turn over before I got to the REAL news in the morning paper today.

The first

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Try again

The first 16 pages were dedicated to this damned event at Westminster Abbey today.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

There is real news in news papers?

News to me

That is why I do not buy them

I flick through one when the opportunity occurs such at my friends home or at the gym whilst 'chilling' in the coffee bar after the workout/spa session.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Remember to close your other duplicate thread.Just press the tick on the right hand side. Mind you I do not think you can close it unless someone answers it first.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I do not think you can close it unless someone answers it first. So that's why I have some open threads - no one answered- So I cant click it done with- doomed to be forever unresponded to- fix needed

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

Just log in with one of your other 'guises' and put an answer, then return and 'end it'.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

And you were expecting what exactly in the papers today?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Spider9

Just log in with one of your other 'guises' and put an answer, then return and 'end it'.

Oh I wish I could

The reason I have this guise is because a change in ISP- when I attempted to update it was blocked with the message 'User name already in use

I know its me - but there you are the vagaries of forums[it has happened in similar situations elsewhere.

On one occasion when I contacted the moderator- the response was- [when asked for former and new detail- 'You do not appear on our data base'

Yet I had been in contact every day for more than 10 years.

J

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

the first 16 pages were dedicated to this damned event at Westminster Abbey today.

Believe it or not, millions of people are actually interested in what you cynically refer to as "this damned event", as is a worldwide TV audience in excess of a billion people.

You obviously couldn't care less, but it's an indication of how,in an increasingly humdrum 21st century there are vast numbers of people who realise that nobody does pageantry better than the British, and they want to witness it.

As for "real news" - the wedding will be front-page news on newspapers all over the world. Happy news beats miserable news hands down - it's human nature at work.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

... and whilst we're doing our pageantry better than anybody else our troops continue to be killed in Afghanistan.

Let's all stick our heads up our backsides for the day and pretend the real world's stopped happening.

Oh, and I'll throw a bit more of my taxpayer's money around in order to pay for this 'pageantry' in Westminster.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

What a ridiculous attitude

Nobody has suggested that we should "pretend the real world's stopped happening", but to infer that we shouldn't indulge in a bit of pageantry now and then because we're engaged in a military action somewhere is plain silly.

You're entitled to take a negative attitude if you like, but when you try to justify it by making daft remarks I'm afraid you lose credibility. Next you'll be saying that we should have no public events of any kind if it involves public money or if we're involved in any kind of conflict, in which case we had better cancel the annual memorial ceremony at the Cenotaph right away, and forbid any further Battle of Britain celebrations.

The State opening of Parliament can go as well, as can Trooping the Colour.

Do away with all of it, so we can subside into the kind of grey mediocrity that we would deserve. Hardly distinguishable from those dull, downtrodden nations which struggle to find a sense of national identity we would finally make you a happy man. I feel deeply sorry for you, and thank my lucky stars that I don't share your dismal outlook on life.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...