We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unwanted phone calls

conrail

Likes # 0

today I have had 4 phone calls asking me about my gas & electric, is this a record? I usually get one a day, I have asked to be removed from their system, waste of time, I even asked one guy his name telephone number & extension plus the company name and address, he give all of these, a Leicester address, I then contacted the TPS, guess what, no such company exists, I gather they are foreign, dialing 1471 after a call doesn't help as they withhold their number, I have been polite, screamed abuse, threatened legal action, a waste of time, but still the calls come, now I just put the phone down and continue with what I was doing, after half an hour I replace the receiver after making sure they are not there, should they be there I will just leave the phone alone. one girl told me she was from my supplier and asked what tarif I was on, I told her to look on her system if she provided me with my fuel, one guy asked my password, I said if I ring my supplier I will give my password, if my supplier rings me they have to provide mw with my password anybody any suggestions as to what I can do

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

Hi guys,thanks for comments, had another call this morning then wife had one while watching the royal wedding, I didn't know she knew so many words of that calibre

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

What's wrong with just putting the phone down? Shouting or whatever makes no difference except maybe a rise in your blood pressure. I have caller display and if it’s a withheld number or 0800 or the like I don’t answer them. As for the doorstep callers, a polite no thank you and shutting the door is effective.Don’t start a dialogue with them as this just gives them an opportunity to carry on.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Tell us how you think the government could possibly stop people from abroad calling UK numbers"

Come on, FE.

Why must you always stop a perfectly good, if unjustified, anti-government rant by applying logic to the situation?

You're like these people who insist on quoting facts to disprove soundly held and perfectly reasonanble, if wrong, opinions (mine, all too often!).

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Colin

"What's wrong with just putting the phone down?"

The whole point is we don't want to be bothered in the first place!

Having the phone ring several times a day in some cases, with these types of calls, is an unwanted intrusion. Not everyone has Caller Display - not all phones have the capability.

The same applies to unwanted 'Cold Callers' at the door. For some people with mobility or other problems it can be quite a struggle to get to the door only to find some spotty youth trying to sell double glazing or similar, when you quite obviously already have it.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"Why must you always stop a perfectly good, if unjustified, anti-government rant"

This is all part of the inheritance from the previous government. Rest assured it's only a matter of time before Brown gets the usual blame! (:-0)

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Point taken Alan 14 re loud whistle - hands up though not my original suggestion but but one another thread same subject.

As for

'Next time your phone rings while you are watching Sky Movies on your 50" TV in your centrally heated house just think the person interrupting the match may well live somewhere like this'

'Sky Movies and 50" TV centrally heated house-' Wot!

None of that in this humble hovel mate

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

BT - my point was that shouting at the caller or whatever won't do anything to stop the calls so why bother? I know that not everyone has caller display, but if it’s such a big problem, buy one. They're not expensive and if you say "why should I have to?" you don’t but it will help the problem.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Getting interested now in Caller display services and equipment and its ramifications when I came across

http://tinyurl.com/643g6ta

possibly better than caller I/D what do you all think?

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

I've already suggested Anonymous Caller Rejection.

In a previous thread, I suggested a phone like mine where you can add the caller to the Barred list.

The next time they call they get engaged tone and pay for the call.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I'm sorry, I forgot myself for a moment. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do