We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unwanted phone calls

conrail

Likes # 0

today I have had 4 phone calls asking me about my gas & electric, is this a record? I usually get one a day, I have asked to be removed from their system, waste of time, I even asked one guy his name telephone number & extension plus the company name and address, he give all of these, a Leicester address, I then contacted the TPS, guess what, no such company exists, I gather they are foreign, dialing 1471 after a call doesn't help as they withhold their number, I have been polite, screamed abuse, threatened legal action, a waste of time, but still the calls come, now I just put the phone down and continue with what I was doing, after half an hour I replace the receiver after making sure they are not there, should they be there I will just leave the phone alone. one girl told me she was from my supplier and asked what tarif I was on, I told her to look on her system if she provided me with my fuel, one guy asked my password, I said if I ring my supplier I will give my password, if my supplier rings me they have to provide mw with my password anybody any suggestions as to what I can do

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Apparently Ofcom here in the UK cannot do anything about these types of nuisance calls, yet there is US$millions if not US$billions spent on monitoring phone calls around the world.

Welcome to modern technology. It only seems that something is done, if profit is a motivator?.

Personally, I get fed-up with companies constantly offering initially recorded claims services offers. The second in-line is utility companies with their various money saving offers?.

At least a telephone answer machine screens some of these very annoying practices.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

spuds" It only seems that something is done, if profit is a motivator?."

But why would any business do anything if there was no profit to motivate them?

These 'unwanted' calls must generate some business, otherwise they wouldn't carry on - or do you think these people do it all for free, just so that they can get abuse thrown at them?

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks guys, interesting replies, when I was made redundant 3 years ago I worked in a call centre for a mobile phone company and always said I would treat callers the way I would expect to be treated, I was once given a verbal warning for being too familiar with a customer, he is quite famous and I went to school with him and we support the same soccer team so we had a laugh, anyway I was in trouble, I was then made redundant again when I refused to work on the team that does this cold calling, I said I wouldn't want it and so I wouldn't do it, a week later I was out (again) I like the true call idea, if t was only a bit cheaper now I am unemployed.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

We have the answer machine on at all times and never answer unless the caller identifies themselves, which all regular callers do.

We also have TPS, but this only prevents a percentage of the calls.

I'm afraid callers at the door are also largely being ignored now. Almost without exception they claim not to be selling anything, but in reality are. They invariably call just as we are sitting down for a meal.

I know businesses have to survive, but if I want something, I will research it and select a supplier.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I'm with Morddwyd on this one.

I also bought a trueCall last year because of nuisance calls - and not just from sales persons (there were a couple of private numbers who were annoying me)

Yup. It is a little expensive on the initial outlay; but it's been a real boon.

Have a look at their site to see what it can do.... click here

I have no connection (other than satisfied user) with the company.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

conrail

Perhaps in your last post, you have made the point on how some of these call centres operate, with very little consideration to the potential customer, or even their work force.

People are often going on about the poor overseas call centres, who highly educated staff are working for a pittance etc etc. Yet who as brought it to this stage?.

And the answer is very simple, the large corporations or commercial business's, whose bosses suggest that they are worth large salaries with additional perks and bonuses, who then perhaps actually contribute very little to the companies that they control, and perhaps even less to providing actual true customer services to their fare paying subscribers. In the end, its the customer who is to blame for accepting this change in modern commerce, and who do very little to get this attitude changed.

Perhaps one point worth mentioning. I know a person who got very annoyed by one particular cold calling company, that they obtained the CEO's details. No joy in contacting this CEO requesting a stop to procedures, so the person then started sending 'annoying' telephone calls to the CEO, with the end results that legal action was threatened. Seems to me that some people can get away with things, yet other less fortunates cannot!.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Your Telephone Service Provider will give you the option of Anonymous Caller Reject. The caller receives a message to re-dial, releasing their number. Unfortunately, there's usually a charge for the service.

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

TPS is totally useless like ALan14 has stated to outside the uk calls! and majority of the calls we receive are from outside the UK!

Shame on the goverment for not doing enough on this! if its purely down to them to deal with this? money should be invested to outright stop this its clear that this is gained momentum from a small issue to somewhat larger one

The other day a Eastern man called from a Blocked number he asked me if i was the home owner i knew what kinda call it was so i said "No they are not here" he said "Argh" then cut the call on me..Damn ignorant!!!

looks like things are getting worse with this pest, WHY should i have to pay for extra services from my telephone provider why isnt they something been done? this has been happening for years now...

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

And ANOTHER thing, if its not these plastic bags ur supposed to fill with clothes which profits private companies that are been posted through my door (ive revived three of them in a week) then its energy suppliers knocking on my door..

Or like the other day Oxfam knocked on my door this guy was almost pesstering me for my bank details and for me to sign up, i'm no good with charities i feel bad sending them away empty handed but this guy frmo Oxfam was an absolute nightmare i told him he would have to speak to my wife he said "ok where is she" when i told him she is in the shower he said ok il wait here? so i told him no come back he told me "NO" il wait in the street then...??

Belive me or not he did wait ten minutes in the street! but the wife said she didnt like his attitude he was simply too pushy!

So if its not phone calls its Letters if its not letters its Emails if its not emails its Door to Door..& now my wife is getting Spam text messages..

This needs sorting & dealing with NOW!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Shame on the goverment for not doing enough on this!

Tell us how you think the government could possibly stop people from abroad calling UK numbers. How do you think the government in say, Australia, could stop you calling a number in Sydney?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?