We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Car

morddwyd

Likes # 0

This might be in Consumerwatch, but it's more a discussion than advice.

My local car dealer, a fairly big local franchise, has announced a massive fall in profits last year, just I am about to order a new car.

Now, is this likely to work in my favour, as they will be keen to get all the sales they can, or will it work against me in that they will be keen to wring every last pound of profit from the deal?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"Is this likely to work in my favour or not?"
In your favour if he thinks he might lose your custom.
In the extreme case, if his business fails, your deposit will disappear too.

"Is he likely to be more desperate for sales or profit?"
No, but he will be careful to avoid making a loss.

I am currently in the middle of a long lead time for delivery, and have never had a better deal..........so far!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

SB23

I don't think the dealer is going to the wall any time soon - his profits last year dropped to £50m, so there's a way to go yet!

His turnover was nearly £2.3bn and with that sort of buying power he can offer some very good deals.

I just wondered, as a business, which way the deals might go

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"His turnover was nearly £2.3bn" Well that's not a single dealer is it, that's a fairly sizable chain of dealerships that can still trade with a £50 million downturn.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you want a new car that contains a lot of Japanese bits you might have a long wait. Bits are getting scarce.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When we started talking about "My local car dealer, a fairly big local franchise", I thought that that this was local and not a £2.3 billion turnover enterprise. A few £million drop on occasions, would be normal trading procedures. You lose a bit, you gain a bit :O(

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"that's not a single dealer is it"

Yes it is.

He's just got a lot of showrooms!

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

morddwyd That's a very poor return on the money. But I don't think Arnold will be losing any sleep.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...