We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Afghan Jail Break

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I wonder how the families of those killed in Afghanistan feel about the massive jail escape there?

I also wonder what those in the front line feel. Speaking personally I would find it difficult to maintain my commitment, but perhaps today's troops are a different breed.

I also find it difficult to believe that something on this scale could succeed with some inside help.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if they cannot run a prison how on earth will they secure their country when NATO pull out.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

At least doing it that way they didn't have a waste disposal problem.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

The tunnelers smashed through a concrete floor which is several inches thick. They could not have done that quietly but no member of staff heard them. Almost 500 men left their cells and queued at the cell with the hole but no member of staff noticed anything. How odd.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

hope the serious offenders had been moved to Guantanamo Bay before the breakout.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

So easy to be critical from here.

I think fourm member has it about right, there is such a lot of opportunity for blackmail, death threats etc in that part of the world at present.

It is likely to be many years before any sort of 'steady' government is in place and meanwhile events like this will happen.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Obviously there was some inside assistance

but to suggest that masses of prisoners were involved in the plan is wide of the mark. This wasn't a question of prisoners tunnelling out, but of people tunnelling in. The prisoners had no idea about it until it happened.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that it was quite possibly an attempt to spring a group of important prisoners, the other 450 or so were taken along because the tunnel was then available.

Obviously I have no proof to back up such a theorem, it's just that I cannon imagine such a major investment, in labour, time and risk, for the rif-raf of the Taliban's troops.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

They're not bothered about the quality of the escapees.

The publicity and propaganda value far outweighs the importance of those actually freed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...