We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compact Cameras

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Remember the confusion over that term when the PCA poll covered them and we argued over what is a compact today?

Well it seems the camera industry is also not sure how to define the inbetweenies. Over on DPReview they're having a poll for the manufacturers that still haven't decided what to call them dpreview poll

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Digital Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens.

DEVIL :o)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm not confused - I have a compact camera - it's a medion 85099 made in Germany - had it for five years - still works great.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I could guess and say that in manufacturers are struggling to name a product they are also struggling to wonder where to go next- to retain the sales momentum It is also time the reliance on the rear screen to find an image is phased out.

To my mind a total failure compared to the look through or SLR types.

An enterprising manufacturer could do worse thamnto take a 70 year step back and look at incorporating 'look through' view finders once more and as an addition a clip on version for those that would prefer them

see

http://tinyurl.com/66fwh2s

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's already being done SparkyJack

Fuji X100

Olympus VF2

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thanks for the links quickbeam I am aware of those you mentioned and indeed had the opportunity to examine the Olympus device whilst on a Cruise in 2009- It was being used by a cruise lecturer.

But as with all things essentially simple they seem to have been engineered into unnecessary complexity compared to the items in my link reviewed of 75 years ago. My first 'proper' camera was an Ensign Selfix 820 purchased by me in 1949 from Wallace Heaton in London, that had an Albada folding finder.

Now a simple 'clip on' one sold as an accessory would be a good idea would it not?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Ensign Selfix 820 with Albada Viewfinder

http://tinyurl.com/6bcnemz

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote