We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Local Election

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just received my ballot papers for the local election on 5th.May.

There are 13 parties on the paper, of whom I have only heard of 8.

Because this is a "regional list" election, there are multiple candidates for some parties, 80 candidates in all.

Of that 80 I've only heard of eight before, and five of those are all from the same party.

There's a lot to be said for First Past the Post!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

It is not at all unusual to find names on ballot papers which are unknown, even if there are only three or four candidates. One generally finds a little about the candidate from leaflets or,failing that, one has to rely on party affiliation.

I assume that this is an AMS vote and many ofthe 'candidates' are not standing directly but are listed in the order in which they will be elected from the PR element.

I do not see how anyone is disenfranchised and, although the procedure may seem complex to those of us who do not have it, I suspect that a five year old could understand it. And the implication that AV is a fancy voting system is risible.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"It is not at all unusual to find names on ballot papers which are unknown"

It is to me.

I'm used to somebody at least putting a leaflet through the door to ask for my vote, if not actually knocking or phoning.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The interesting result in May will be to see if the huge number of spoilt ballots seen in the last election is reduced."

I suspect not.

With all the publicity about AV and voting "1,2,3" I think that many papers will be spoilt by people doing just that.

The UK government has done the devolved administrations no favours by having the referendum on the same day as the local elections.

The Electoral Commission was quite unequivocal about not having any other elections on the same day as Parliamentary elections, because of such confusion, but its recommendations have been rejected.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"The UK government has done the devolved administrations no favours by having the referendum on the same day as the local elections."

Completely agree, and suspect the 'confusion' will play in favour of the No campaign - if in doubt stick with the 'old' may well be people's attitude. If it was intended, this was may well prove to be a good strategy by Cameron.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Maybee MPs should be more accountable.I'm with you morddwyd - I don't know who the local MPs is/are in my neighbourhood - and quite frankly I don't care. I will be voting for SNP here in Glasgow for what it's worth.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

....having the referendum on the same day as the local elections."

How come everyone has 'Local Elections' this year. I always thought that they didn't all necessarily happen on the same day/year. It seems they are stretching it a bit around here as our 'Local' vote is as far as I can see only for the Parish Council, historically a VERY low turnout affair, which doesn't bode well for the Referendum vote in this area, or an unheard of high vote for the Parish Council.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

BT

I was using "local" in the context of local parliamentary, i.e. devolved assembly, elections.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

My own opinion is that if something is important enough to merit a referendum then it should not be 'mixed up' with all sorts of other voting. But, as I said, the PM may have a reason for this.

If the expense of having it, alone, is too much then it shouldn't happen.

However, in the scheme of government spending the actual cost of running a single vote would not be too significant (compared with our Libya costs, for example).

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I think this is the first time in my living memory that I have yet to see any election material at all. No one has been near our house or posted anything through the door or stuck any literature in their windows or called on the phone or texted.

Are politicians finally getting the message that we are all heartily sick of the lot of them and they too are staying at home?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

In my location we have four events taking place on 5th May. Voting for the new role of 'elected Mayor', new Member of Parliament, local councillor's and the AV.

There seems to be a number of 'Hustlings' going on, but very little doorstep knocking or banner waving. We even have cards put in the door by the three major parties, that seem to state 'Sorry you were out, when we called', yet most people were in, and actually saw the card droppers sprinting up the drive so as to deliver their same message next door. Its been very low key event, so far.

The UKIP representative for the role of elected mayor, while having her name on the register, hasn't even been seen. Apparently the party line is that she cannot and will not attend public meetings etc, because she is studying for her exams or similar excuses. I think that about states it all, as to why most of the public doesn't bother, if the selected candidates or parties are not prepared to put in any effort themselves.

As to the Yes or No AV vote, then again it seems to be a one leaflet in our area from the Say No to AV camp, and thats all. In the town centre, the Say Yes camp have set-up a small stall with a few leaflets and badges, with very little interest being shown from the public.

Now if all this was going on in America or some other part of the world, we might even have major events and hysteria, with perhaps a few shootings. Nothing like British politics to get the blood boiling?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...