We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AV, was Clegg set up?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 0

click here

Was it coincidence that throughout the coalition Clegg has been given 'bad news' to impart and thus incur the wrath of voters and his own Party members? Now he is 'leading' the AV campaign, his reduced standing will also reflect on people's way of deciding on AV. But, more interesting, will be what happens after the vote - if AV fails then I think the grass-roots Libs may well want big changes, even a new leader.

Might prove to be a problem for Dave and the coalition.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

spider9, you are correct it is how many you wish to rank - information in the official booklet from The Electoral Commission

'You can choose how many cadidates to rank. You don't have to rank every candidate. As long as you rank at least one, your vote will be counted.'

Some people on here and elsewhere seem to be confused about that.... as well as which country we live in.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

cadidates = candidates (or maybe cads..)

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

lotvic they are not confused just scare mongering and not just Clegg set up they have been doing it to all the Libs anything that they think will be unpopular it will fall to a Lib minister

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

IF AV doesn't work neither would PR although it would be a good way to cut the cost of Parliment. Only 33% vote so 2/3rd Of the house of Commons is empty for the next Parlimentry tern as 2/3ds of the population don't want an MP. Actually I'm starting to like the idea of PR

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Kevscar

I'm not entirely sure if you understand any of the voting systems if you think that because only one third of people vote then there will only be a one third full House of Commons!!

But, at least you are not scared by AV. (;-)

lotvic

Thanks for that clarification.

Strawballs

Agree, the PM has played a clever game, getting the LibDems into their present situation. It will all end badly, I fear.

Like this post  
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

I agree, it's just odd to hear many Tory MPs (and Varsi, leading the NO campaign?) saying exactly that, along with Papua New Guinea. Makes you wonder who to believe, doesn't it.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

fourm member

Australia is a federation of states. AV is used in state elections and in national elections. However, there are differences between the system used in state elections. In some the system proposed for the UK is used. All work satisfactorily. Hence the case that Australia uses so it's OK for us is proved. I leave others to judge who knows what they are talking about.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

spider9 If PR means that each party gets a % of the vote then to be fair that should mean that if 67% of the population do not think that any of the poloticain or parties deserve to be in office those seats should remain empty. That is true PR.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That sounds more like the route to dictatorship by the few seats granted to me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote