We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Old Age Strikes Again.

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

This time a major blow - no more Fray Bentos pies.

They're too big for the electric opener, and my arthritis is no longer up to a manual tin opener.

The end gets ever nigher!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Just a thought, if you have a local blacksmith, would he open them for you;)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thank you for all the responses.

Plenty of other pies available, of course, in fact I am awaiting delivery of half a dozen traditional mutton pies later this week, and I live near Dundee, one of the few places where, when you order a carry out pie, you specify the brand.

However, the essential problem remains the same - I can no longer get the lid off Fray Bentos tinned pies!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Talking of Tin Openers etc. does anyone, like me, think that the advent of the 'Ring Pull' type of can a backward step.

They are most definitely not easier to open resulting in the proliferation in the sales of gadgets to get hold of the ring to enable you to get enough leverage on the thing if your fingers are suffering a bit from old age.

I was attempting to prise one open last week and the ring broke off before the top had even started to separate. That is when I found that you can't even get a can opener to fit on the rim, and you can't turn the can upside down as they are made without a bottom rim.

So it was either throw away the can unused or resort to brutal methods. I eventually employed the method used when cans were first invented and used a screwdriver to break the seal on the pull off lid and prise it up.

If you don't have one of those ring pull gadgets I find the simplest way is to push the handle of a spoon through the ring, lift it to break the seal then with two fingers each side of the ring, grip the spoon handle and it pulls the lid off fairly easily, providing of course that the ring doesn't break off.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Hello BT, ring-pull cans are great.I go through about 20 tins of sardines per week.Drain the oil and eat straight from the tin or pop onto some toast.Ring-pull soup cans are also a great boon.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Hello morddwyd - how old are you? I am 56. You come across as being as sharp as a whistle.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Get a friend to open it and share the pie!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

It was a ring pull soup can that gave me the grief last week.

Give me a good old fashioned 'Butterfly' can opener any time.

Butterfly opener

Beats the modern ones every time.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I go through about 20 tins of sardines per week"

And I'll bet they go through you too...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I always buy tinned toms with the ring pull opener.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I go through about 20 tins of sardines per week.Drain the oil...

I prefer mine in tomato sauce ;o]

I must admit that for strange shaped cans like sardines and Corned Beef (don't you always get the one without the key) Ring Pulls can be better than a can opener. Having said that if you do have to use an opener the ones that cut the top off below the seam rather than inside the top are much the best in these circumstances.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days