We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Old Age Strikes Again.

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

This time a major blow - no more Fray Bentos pies.

They're too big for the electric opener, and my arthritis is no longer up to a manual tin opener.

The end gets ever nigher!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"these fit any can"

I have one and it doesn't. That's my problem.

I agree with you that they they work without holding the tin, my wife only has one arm, and finds it a godsend, but not with the 9" tins that Fray Bentos use for their pies.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

But how does one clean an electric can opener, that's what has always put me off?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

"But how does one clean an electric can opener, that's what has always put me off?"

On the type we have, the blade assembly detaches and can be washed.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

It must be over thirty years since I had a Fray Bentos pie, but we probably still have evidence of their consumption. The empty containers made excellent yorkshire pudding tins and we had quite a collection!

Alas the kitchen is no longer filled with the blue haze from the hot fat on Sundays. It's now a premade frozen job that's put in the oven whenever we have a roast. Such is progress.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

orsome I was thinking of the one that just sits on the top of the can and turns by battery power..

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Mine doesn't need cleaning very often - it doesn't touch the contents of the tin.

When it gets a bit grubby a damp cloth and a toothbrush fill the bill.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I use my electric can opener to decapitate the tops of drinks cans (aluminium only) drill holes in the bottom ( usually 7 holes) and use 'em as plant pots. (sweet peas like deep pots).

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Used to enjoy the pastry on Fray Bentos pies!

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

If your near a M&S food shop try their steak and kidney pies. Don't need tin openers and are nearly as good as those made by the Better Half.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I make mine in the slow cooker as a freezer size batch and cut the pre-rolled pastry into squares to freeze separated in greaseproof paper. No tins are involved in the making of them.

Well I put the filling into foil containers, but no tin opener is required...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features