We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New car "flagged" by police

wids001

Likes # 0

One of my grandsons, who is 19, bought a second-hand VW golf. He has this about 9 months and it is taxed, MOT'd and insured fully comp, and in excellent condition.

However, he keeps getting pulled over by Police - twice last week at these new road blocks they have started to set up to catch drivers breaking the law - so much so that he is seriously considering selling it on. Apparently it has been flagged by the Police because a previous owner was caught with drugs. My daughter, who has made a complaint about this to them was told by them that he needed to contact the DVLA to have this flag removed. The DVLA say they have no record of this!

What to do - any suggestions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Your grandson's car probably has what is called a Police CAD marker on the registration.At some point it has been involved in a Police stop involving drugs, or firearms, or even just an alcohol prosecution, and the officer involved in the stop placed a marker in a special database - called CAD.

The marker can be removed, but it must be done by the first Police officer who makes a subsequent 'all clear' stop. Your grandson should talk to the next officer who stops him, explain the situation, and ask the officer to update the CAD entry.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I used to have a Mini,100% legal yet I was getting stopped upto 6 times in a single journey(once stopped & given HORT1,on way home to collect documents to take to station I was stopped again then on my way back to the police station stopped a 3rd time)so I went to see the station Inspector.He informed me that as I was previously well known for committing motoring offenses,he would be having a "talk" to any officer that saw me & didnt pull me over.I was so furious that I asked the Inspector if he would affix my documents to the stations notice-board to save me returning so often(he refused)so I went & saw my MP.My MP promised to investigate,and I collected another 5 HORT1's over the next couple of days,but my MP must've done something as this constant harrassment ceased.

Like this post
eikonuj

Likes # 0

Chegs

What is a HORT1?

F E

What do the initials CAD mean?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

eikonuj

CAD stands for 'Computer Assisted Dispatch'.

It's the centralised system used to assign calls to Police mobile units.

HO/RT1 is the 'required to produce' form given to you at the roadside by a Police Officer if you are stopped. The codes on the form relate to the document(s) you are required to produce.

Like this post
eikonuj

Likes # 0

Many thanks, I learn something every day.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

Hi eikonuj, HORT means Home Office Road Tranport, HORT1 used to be issued if you were stopped for any reason and likely to be prosecuted, HORT2 is if you were told not to move the vehicle, ie it was in an unroadworthy condition, and were getting prosecuted

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback