We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New car "flagged" by police

wids001

Likes # 0

One of my grandsons, who is 19, bought a second-hand VW golf. He has this about 9 months and it is taxed, MOT'd and insured fully comp, and in excellent condition.

However, he keeps getting pulled over by Police - twice last week at these new road blocks they have started to set up to catch drivers breaking the law - so much so that he is seriously considering selling it on. Apparently it has been flagged by the Police because a previous owner was caught with drugs. My daughter, who has made a complaint about this to them was told by them that he needed to contact the DVLA to have this flag removed. The DVLA say they have no record of this!

What to do - any suggestions.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'd advise you to make an official complaint, because they are seriously impinging on your son's freedom of movement.

Independent Police Complaints Commission

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

It's not the DVLA who flag it... it's the police.

Perhaps a nice chat at the local police station with all documents to prove change of ownership?

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 1

I have found that contacting your MP is often an efficient method of resolving problems.

Search for him/her by name and you will probably find an e-mail address.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

At these new road blocks they have started to set up to catch drivers breaking the law.

Are you able to tell us what area in GB these are?

I wish they would use them where I live.

Like this post
wids001

Likes # 0

Peter99co

Chelmsford in Essex. Practically every Saturday along Stock Road they are there at varing times. As you approach the roundabout onto Stock Road there is normally a casual looking man or woman leaning against the railings. He/she has a radio to inform the block about 1/2 mile along the road of anyone using their mobile, not wearing seat belts etc. Once past this point they have you (anyone who is breaking the law). As you approach the road block they have the number recognition van (ANPR)reading the number plates and at the road block one officer has a speed camera. Any one flagging the ANPR or who has been seen earlier at the roundabout breaking the law is directed into a side road where other police sort out the offences.

On the occasions I've been past there always seems to be a queue of vehicles waiting to be seen. Usually there are around 20 police in total. Normally they're gone within a couple of hours and relocate to other areas around the town.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I'm impressed, sounds like very efficient use of Police Resources.

Your Chief Constable should be commended.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Any policeman worth his salt would have explained to your grandson just how to go about getting the car off their list. Would have saved both them and your grandson all the wasted time and the aggro. TC.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

"Any policeman worth his salt..."

...Or his pension...

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It would appear that the vehicle as a PNC marker on it from possibly the previous owners activities. Contact your local Constabulary and address your communications to the Chief Constable, who will redirect the communications to the appropriate person for a response.

If the vehicle as a PNC marker, then the vehicle 'could' be stopped by any police force for a roadside check. Remote nameplate identification cameras will also pick the vehicle up, with possible surveillance or stop on the vehicle being conducted for future intelligence.

If he sells the vehicle, he will only pass the same problem onto the next owner. Try to get the matter sorted asap.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Your grandson's car probably has what is called a Police CAD marker on the registration.At some point it has been involved in a Police stop involving drugs, or firearms, or even just an alcohol prosecution, and the officer involved in the stop placed a marker in a special database - called CAD.

The marker can be removed, but it must be done by the first Police officer who makes a subsequent 'all clear' stop. Your grandson should talk to the next officer who stops him, explain the situation, and ask the officer to update the CAD entry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia